The Buckeye Thread

Depends where you get them from.
My bantams from John Sullivan did good no matter the weather.
The LF from Wisconsin suffer from heat and are more prone to frostbite. Somehow one froze off his shrimpy wattles.
But John also has very healthy birds, and bantams are generally better at handling heat, so it may be more that than how they were acclimated.
I'm having a hard time finding breeders south of Ohio, and figure I need to find birds that have been bred somewhere that spends some time at least in the upper 90's in the summer. Except for big hatcheries like Cackle. Privett in NM and Ideal in TX have them but I would assume anything coming from them to be skimpy little egg production birds. I've tried some other breeds like BR's, and Java's from Privett and they were exactly that. Pretty birds and handled the heat well coming from NM, but skimpy and not dual purpose birds at all. I figure if I keep checking around eventually I'll find something.. :p

I'm having a hard time finding breeders south of Ohio, and figure I need to find birds that have been bred somewhere that spends some time at least in the upper 90's in the summer. Except for big hatcheries like Cackle. Privett in NM and Ideal in TX have them but I would assume anything coming from them to be skimpy little egg production birds. I've tried some other breeds like BR's, and Java's from Privett and they were exactly that. Pretty birds and handled the heat well coming from NM, but skimpy and not dual purpose birds at all. I figure if I keep checking around eventually I'll find something.. :p
Oh, all of the breeders I know are
@cgmccary , Aaron Baker, and John Sullivan... all south of Ohio.

I know that there is a very highly regarded breeder in Oklahoma, but I don't know what his name is.
The breeders list on the Club page says there's a Stoney Creek Farm listed in OK, but their website says they've stopped breeding Buckeyes.. The Club list seems a little old. Alot of pages and listings I've found seem old.

I got a couple of Buckeyes that I got from My Pet Chicken. Couldn't resist them once I discovered their name. They're 4.5 months old now and one of them seems to have some kind of lacing on her feathers? While she was growing in her feathers had white tips at the end (Kinda like a Speckled Sussex) Is this normal?

IMG_3113.JPG
IMG_3152 (1).JPG

Here when she was younger

IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3430.JPG

Her now, you see the lacing?

Her name is Baba Yaga and trust me she deserves her name. She's also a monster, being the biggest chicken with HUGE feet and a huge beak (it really hurts when she pecks you).

Attachments

• IMG_3148 (1).JPG
    IMG_3148 (1).JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3435.JPG
    IMG_3435.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom