The Buckeye Thread

lol
Buckeyes really aren't a good breed for wing sexing.
When they're day olds you have a somewhat good chance of being able to tell sex. If there is a slightly darker stripe on their back, it's a good chance that they are pullets. Once they start to feather, you'll just have to wait and see. I just sold a woman an eight month old pullet. About 3 weeks after she got it, it started to crow, and sure enough it was a cockerel. So... they're really slow to mature. You may be waiting a while.

I hope that you're enjoying them as much as I do!

I love my Buckeyes so much! I can watch them for hours!

At what age will, Buckeyes be 2 pounds or more? I have four wonderful 5-week old chicks. For the WInter I will set up a treadle feeder and train them (Rat Proof Feeder http://ratproofchickenfeeder.com/Medium-Ratproof-Chicken-Feeder_p_1.html) and the seller recommended they weigh at least 2 lbs for safe use. What is the weight trajectory for this breed? I don't have an accurate scale in my house. I have a small hanging feeder (https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...3+Feeder,+3+lb+capacity&species_id=0&cat_id=0) I'm using while I tractor around the chicks now, but plan to use the Rat Proof Feeder in when everything will be stationary and attached to a 6x9 composting litter run. Thanks!

I'm guessing around 3 months old. I find mine don't reach full weight until they're about a year old, but around 2 lbs at 3-4 months.
Thank you so much for the information, @The Farmers' Daughter! I don't think there should be a problem keeping the hanging feeder going into December or further into the winter. I am taking it in each evening to deter rodents.

Buckeyes are my favorite breed. I am in the beginning stage of a breeding program. My goal is to help preserve the breed. I will be ordering chicks from Hidden Creek Farm to add to my existing flock in March.

I have a small group of 18 week old pullets. I find them so entertaining! They are such a nice breed: friendly, active and sociable.

Here's Butternut trying to figure out how to get to my ice cubes!

butternut-tea.jpg

She's also a pig!

trellis3.jpg

Willow is very curious! :lol:

willow18wks.jpg

willow18wks1.jpg

willow18wks4.jpg

Buckeyes are my favorite breed. I am in the beginning stage of a breeding program. My goal is to help preserve the breed. I will be ordering chicks from Hidden Creek Farm to add to my existing flock in March.

I have a small group of 18 week old pullets. I find them so entertaining! They are such a nice breed: friendly, active and sociable.

View attachment 2302273

She's also a pig!

View attachment 2302276

View attachment 2302278

View attachment 2302279

View attachment 2302280
What handsome birds! I will post a pic of mine (I don't think mine are all true to breed, can one tell at 8 weeks?)

Here's my chicks, three are a little darker than they appear here, but Butters, on the top right, really is this light. I got them mail-order from My Pet Chicken, knowing nothing about lines at the time, and I wanted to try to get pullets, so didn't want to take a straight run. I would try Cackle Hatchery next time as they at least specify what Buckeye line they have (I think?). But I am not going to breed or show them; yes they are pets!

They hatched July 6th, so they are almost 8 weeks old, but on July 7th when they arrived in the mail Butters already had little feathers starting on her wings and a small tail point, so I've always wondered if she isn't a week older. Unlike the others she had no head stripe,. Her
Hazel, Butters, Popcorn and Peanut.jpg
head was a beautiful yellow, thus the name.

Here I have everything pushed toward the center of the tractor run because it was going to rain and I don't have all the right tarps yet for proper cover, I used a reinforced webbing one but I will be getting a clear tarp. They are inspecting it!

View attachment 2302273

She's also a pig!

View attachment 2302276

View attachment 2302278

View attachment 2302279

View attachment 2302280
Willow has excellent beak, eye & comb features. I hope that she's going to be part of your breeding program!

Willow has excellent beak, eye & comb features. I hope that she's going to be part of your breeding program!
Thanks so much! It’s nice to hear it. I have 4 pullets from her group that will most definitely be breeders. Butternut also has the same features as well as a broad back. They are still in their “teen” phase so I’m watching and evaluating as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom