The Buckeye Thread

I just took a quiz online and it suggested Barndelever, but then as an alternative Buckeye. I have only owned Red sex-link, Leghorn cross, and Sapphire EE cross and we are only a 8 months into being chicken owners in general.

I would like a lap chicken and do not really mind the egg colors. Although that might change once I see my EE’s color. 🤣

I noticed in the first few pages Buckeye have pea combs like the EE. That is just so amazing to me.. I’ve seen so many different breeds being here and looking online.

Long story short, I just wanted to know if this is a good chicken for a small trailer park yard? Can I got outside and enjoy her presence and she comes right up to me and wants attention and maybe a seat in my lap. 😆

Thanks in advance!

I just took a quiz online and it suggested Barndelever, but then as an alternative Buckeye. I have only owned Red sex-link, Leghorn cross, and Sapphire EE cross and we are only a 8 months into being chicken owners in general.

I would like a lap chicken and do not really mind the egg colors. Although that might change once I see my EE’s color. 🤣

I noticed in the first few pages Buckeye have pea combs like the EE. That is just so amazing to me.. I’ve seen so many different breeds being here and looking online.

Long story short, I just wanted to know if this is a good chicken for a small trailer park yard? Can I got outside and enjoy her presence and she comes right up to me and wants attention and maybe a seat in my lap. 😆

Thanks in advance!
Buckeyes in general are very friendly birds, but a lot will also depend on how you raise them and how much you interact with them.

However, they are also larger birds. So they may or may not be okay for you, depending on how much space you have.

Buckeyes in general are very friendly birds, but a lot will also depend on how you raise them and how much you interact with them.

However, they are also larger birds. So they may or may not be okay for you, depending on how much space you have.
I saw that there are bantam. Is that not true?

There may be a bantam breed of Buckeye, but I do not know of it. The Buckeyes I know are a large standard breed chicken. Maybe not all Buckeyes are as big as mine were (mine got bigger than my Orpingtons), but they certainly will be as big as RIR or Barred Rock or your other large brown egg laying breeds.

I saw that there are bantam. Is that not true?
I have four standard Buckeyes and they are quite personable, friendly and intelligent. I have always spent time with them every day, that makes a difference. Someone I know has had bantam Buckeyes, loved their personalities too though she did not engage with them closely. However she free-ranges her chickens (a mix of standards, with a rooster) and the bantams have been much more vulnerable to hawk attacks (and less likely to survive them), due to their smaller size. 😥 She is doubtful she would raise bantams again, any kind of bantam, because of that.

New chicken keeper as an adult. Poultry keeping has changed a bit since I was a kid.

My starter flock is 15 pullet and 2 cockerel Buckeyes. At least, that’s how they were shipped. They’re about 11 days old and already building some nice feathers. Not cute and fluffy any more. To compensate, they do seem to be developing some personality - responding when I open the garage door and start talking to them, rushing the crate door to see what’s up.

I do have a question for other Buckeyers: Do adults do a lot of flying? My babies jump and flap a lot; I can’t figure out if they’re just full of themselves or if I should worry about them flying over the fence when they go into the yard.

New chicken keeper as an adult. Poultry keeping has changed a bit since I was a kid.

My starter flock is 15 pullet and 2 cockerel Buckeyes. At least, that’s how they were shipped. They’re about 11 days old and already building some nice feathers. Not cute and fluffy any more. To compensate, they do seem to be developing some personality - responding when I open the garage door and start talking to them, rushing the crate door to see what’s up.

I do have a question for other Buckeyers: Do adults do a lot of flying? My babies jump and flap a lot; I can’t figure out if they’re just full of themselves or if I should worry about them flying over the fence when they go into the yard.
My four fly up and down to and from perches, and can fly up to a perch about waist high, but won't unless there's a treat to be had. They don't generally fly very high for fun. If they had to escape a predator they could fly over a fence probably.

Back
Top Bottom