1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The building of Pea Palace(Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by frenchblackcopper, Mar 10, 2012.

1. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    My plan? It's ongoing,,plans right now is this fall to build one large aviary on the west side,,a single 50x50 pen to move all birds to when breeding this summer is over.Next year I can then divide that 50x50 area up into individual breeding pens like I have done on the east side this year.I want to still get Cameo's,.Peach(have my name on the list this fall for some) Whites,a pen of strictly Purple B/S,,and possibly Jade,,I already have Midnight B/S,Purple B/S,India Blues all combinations,,Opal B/S,Buford Bronze,B/S Silver pieds,Charcoal,so I've got most every color and breeding combination possible now,I just need a few more colors is all.
    I'm looking to get one more outstanding B/S Silver Pied male,but what I'm looking for in that male is going to be an ongoing search.I'm not interested in Spaldings or Green peas,,,,too cold here in the winter for those and they look too race-horsy for me,all legs and stretch.I just enjoy them a lot and I like predictability,so I pen seperate,keep great records of everything and plan to experment next year with hatching some diffrent Midnight pieds or Midnight Purples possibly,,and concentrating on my Charcoal pen more.But all this is subject to something new that may come along at anytime.
    The new 24x30 building put up alongside the standing corn crib will be for winter housing of all birds. I want to put a new metal roof on the standing corn crib,then add a floor to the upstairs so there is actually 2 floors above ground level.These can be used for growing out of peachicks,ect.I have the space and ambition but cash is always an issue. I didn't realize just how expensive building a 50x50 aviary like I have done now would cost but it adds up fast.West side addition I hope won't be so costly.This spring has taken a toll on my ornamental pheasants because I havn't put 1 of their eggs in my incubator,,saving all space for pea eggs.but I did have a Blue Laced Wyandotte hen who hatched out 5 yellow ornamentals last week,,maybe she will go broody again once I move those away.
    And to build a website this winter,,similiar to my German Shepherd website,,because on the UPA breeders list for Illinois,not 1 breeder has a website on their birds,,just a list and contact information.

2. angsaidso

angsaidso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    What kind of netting are you using? I have no predators YET so I have been using deer netting so far but do know I have to go with something heavier VERY soon. The peafowl respect the netting and so have had no issues.

3. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    It is 2" HEAVY KNOTTED from a seller on E-Bay,UV resistant,was right at $100 for a 50x50 size

4. Fowler Hencock

Fowler Hencock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    I wouldn't recommend anything lighter than #42 cord netting. I made the mistake one year of "saving a little money" and getting some thinner stuff. Well, we got a heavier than usual snowfall that year, and the weight of the snow ripped it apart like tissue paper. I'd also suggest getting 2 1/2" to 3" squares, to let the snow pass through without accumulating. In the sections where we have 2 1/4" square patterned netting, I still have to knock the snow through with a push broom.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas

6. angsaidso

angsaidso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    Thanks for info on netting. I read on one peafowl site (and it made total sense after reading and looking at the pictures) that you should always use knotted netting outside not knitted netting. Knitted netting holds the snow and doesn't let it pass through whereas knotted netting allows snow to slide right through. Say that ten times fast!

That eBay seller has some GREAT netting! Did you also get his zip ties? I was wondering how they worked? Seems his netting is nice ... but now it's even better to hear of someone using it and recommending it. I guess he will have another sale today from me since I need to replace my "save a few bucks" netting and Taco (my smartest bird in the world, LOL) learned very quickly how to escape it. Time for the big guns! He he he ....

7. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Yes, I also bought a bag of 1000 zip ties,think they was 7" long and I've used all but about 200 of them on Pea Palace east edition.I've had others tell me that in a few years hog rings will be needed anyway,,,but zip ties are so fast when your doing it yourself.I think they was only $20 for the bag,,Yes the KNOTTED Netting is stronger and it will not "unzip" if snagged like knitted netting will,,and I'm sure if we get a wet heavy snow I'll be out there bumping it loose,,my biggest concern is freezing rain,,but if you looked at my pics of the posts in Pea Palace,they are 10 feet apart with cables running east-west,,north-south,then criss crossed them too.I also located off e-bay a seller in Texas selling 1000' of 1/8" steel cable for $40,free shipping,,I ran short when finishing up so used electric fence wire 17 gauge,,easy to use,still strong and will work good for the few lengths I needed between posts.

When I got my net it had two areas about 20' long each that had consistant spots that was not knotted,,possibly 20 in all so I used zip ties and tied them where it wasn't knotted.I sent the seller an e-mail with some pics,and the next week he had sent me a new 50x50 net FREE! He said the workmanship on that net was unacceptable,,so now I have a free top net for Pea Palace west edition.

8. DAS

DAS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    NW Wisconsin
    As far as the zip ties go, you will have to replace them sooner than "a few years". Been there, done that. Learned my lesson the hard way. Lost some nice birds that way. We have a big predator problem here. Birds that escape are generally dead within 2 days. The only place I will use zip ties is to tie fencing in between pens. The outside fencing and top netting all have wire and hog rings to close up the gaps.

9. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    You guys have me in tears right now [​IMG]! Peafowl are my FAVORITE animal in the world. I am so very jeliouse, your birds are all beautiful. I leagaly can have them here, which is wierd cause we can't have roosters figure that one out, and I have money for them but only enough for eather the birds and food or a living area for them.....Plus I have other projects I have to do first.

Your pea pallace is amazing!!!![​IMG]

10. frenchblackcopper

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Pea Palace is a money pit,,and still have the west side to do next,,,I sold all my RC Airplanes and equipment to build this one side,,

Last edited: May 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by