the bully and the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by creative.hortic, Mar 2, 2011.

1. creative.hortic

creative.hortic In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    i have a bully and she is the largest and the prettiest..apparently she knows it too. well, i took her out a few days ago and stuck her in a dog kennel in the garage....
    she was picking the others bloody...they look terrible....since i took her out, the others are scabbing up now
    how long till i can put bully back with the others? someone told me that a few days on time out will do the trick, but i am a bit worried
    has anyone had this problem before, and how did you handle it?

2. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I would wait until the others heal to reintroduce her.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd keep her separated for two weeks. Reintroduce and if her behavior is unchanged, take her back out.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If the victims aren't really healed, she'll just peck them again. It's an instinct, the sight of blood or a sore triggers it. Keep her out til they're fully healed, however long that takes.

You need a plan to prevent future pecking once you put her back in. Are your birds crowded? Do they get enough protien? Are they bored outta their little birdie minds?

5. creative.hortic

creative.hortic In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    they arent crowded...plenty of outdoor and indoor room...and they get layena, which is 16% protein. I did cut back on the treats and other goodies to force them to eat the necessaries, and gave them pork and bone just in case. i have the bully in the garage in a kennel, is this ok for 2 weeks? if she doesnt behave, then it is the grill for her! how long does it take for sores to heal?

6. beckt

beckt Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    You might try gining her some BOSS.

7. Sorin

Sorin Songster

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I had a barred rock hen that was like that. I tried time out twice, 3 days at a time, it didn't work. Maybe I should have tried longer like sour land said. I eventually rehomed her to a friend that has a much larger flock. I hate to say it but I was glad to see her get knocked down a peg or two when we put her in with her new flock mates, she was such a bully. I see her at my friends once in a while and she is doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: