The bullying won't stop, HELP!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brightonchicks, Nov 17, 2014.

1. brightonchicks

brightonchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    We put our big hens with the 8 week old chicks and keep them seperated but could see each other and supervised visits during each day. 2 of the big hens did not like the chicks and bullied, but 1 which is head hen was down right mean, holding done and pulling out feathers and eating them! I moved her out to the small coop for 5 days and was forced to move her back last night due to weather and she just picked up where she left off! Because of the weather they have to be in the same coop, my husband is ready to have her for dinner, do some hens just not except new chickens? I thought maybe since we introduced the big hens into the mamma and 8 week old chicks turf instead of the big hens turf it would work out better but nope! Any suggestions?

2. ChickyGirl12

ChickyGirl12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2014
    They are just establishing their pecking order. Don't worry about it, leave them alone and they will work it out. I promise. :)

2 people like this.
  3. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    awww poor baby!! Well I usually wait more like 10 weeks to combine but she just might be a bully. I haven't expeirnced this yet but I would've done the same with taking Her out. Maybe try again? Good luck! I hope it gets better [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably would have been better to kept the momma and chicks in with the flock from the get go...but...

I'd remove the bully from the flock, jail time, out of sight for a couple weeks, will shake up the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by