The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

I would contact the Animals in Distress Association and tell them what happened. They are specially trained to raise these types of animals and re-release them into the wild.

That’s best, in my opinion.
I did a little research, seems to be an Idaho based association and I'm in Florida, don't see any branches here. I have a really good vet that does exotics as well as wildlife rehabilitation and they are very good so I will be bringing them there first thing in the morning once they open.

Hey, I know this is a bit different because I am talking about wild rabbits, but I could use a bit of advice maybe from somebody with experience raising rabbits from babies. I just got a call from a woman I dog sit for, saying how her dog had uncovered some baby bunnies and was going to eat them unless I came and saved them, so I went and got them and grabbed all the fur from the nest, got them set up with a nice little nest in a little box. I am wondering about food for them. I intend to take them to my vet that does wildlife rehab first thing tomorrow, until then, I read online that generally rabbits only feed their babies once a day, when I stopped by earlier in the day the mother rabbit was there, so I think she probably fed them during that time. Now my question is, should I go to the pet store and get some formula? Or will they be fine until I bring them to the vet tomorrow? Also, what is the ideal temperature for baby bunnies? Do they need a heating pad or will they be fine in my 80 degree f house? I appreciate anybody who takes the time to respond to this!

Just for the record, they are very young, but not still pink they have a little fur, I'd probably say a couple weeks old.
Okay, hi there. Wildlife rehabber over here. First of all they are probably only a few days old. Wild bunnies are born with Fur and only spend two to three weeks with mom.
Never never never do cows milk. Human formula is also iffy. If you plan to take them in the morning you can try sugar water tonight. Molasses water or sugar water. Use a small piper or syringe. Be super careful to not get any into the noses. If you want to do milk I use goat milk, the rabbits do just fine on it if you don’t have the right formula. Feed them warm liquids only. I put a medicine bottle inside of a tea cup of very warm water to keep it warm. Check on the inside of your wrist. Btw, most baby rabbits don’t take to food quickly, if they don’t just get them to the vet as planned.
As far as heat: put the heating pad on low under half of the box. If they are too hot they will wriggle off that half. They’ll regulate themselves that way.

Make-up sponges also work if you don't have any droppers, or syringes.
IMG_20220325_215128248~2.jpg

I’m stealing this! Thank you.
I love using them because babies don't lose their sucking reflex and I'm usually able to foster them later on.
Here's that same baby about week later with his adoptive sibling.
IMG_20220402_124504578.jpg

Hi guys! Long time, no bunny chat!

I am a Holland lop breeder and am considering two new does: white and harlequin. Would those colors be dominant or recessive to my broken sable point buck?

Thanks!!

I used to breed rabbits, but I don’t know the answer to your question.

On a sidenote, the 24th will be the anniversary of the last picture I took of my rabbit Sophie when she was alive.

IMG_7350.jpeg

Sophie, 2014-2023.

Rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom