The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

wht type of bunnies are these? These can be found in like every pet shop here
It would be impossible for me to confirm the breed but I suspect they may be New Zealand Whites or Florida Whites. I guess this because both are over produced for laboratory testing and when too many are bred they get distributed to pet stores all over the world. I have Rex with the same color and eyes and I am guessing many breeds can have those traits so its hard to tell from the photo.

(Florida and NZ whites as adults would look much meatier than those rabbits assuming those rabbits are young, if those rabbits are adults then I doubt they are the 2 I listed)

It would be impossible for me to confirm the breed but I suspect they may be New Zealand Whites or Florida Whites. I guess this because both are over produced for laboratory testing and when too many are bred they get distributed to pet stores all over the world. I have Rex with the same color and eyes and I am guessing many breeds can have those traits so its hard to tell from the photo.

(Florida and NZ whites as adults would look much meatier than those rabbits assuming those rabbits are young, if those rabbits are adults then I doubt they are the 2 I listed)
I've had these rabbits before they are not as fat as newzealand

U can see the adults laying behind
thanks for pointing that out, it will help with people being about to Identify breed. I lack those skills myself. I agree they do not look as meaty as NZ Whites and they are too long to Florida Whites which are basically a short block of meat. I have had both of those breeds and Rex. I lack rabbit experience outside of those 3 breeds.

So bugs was shaking his head today and there is some thing on the back of his ears which looks like dried skin. If he has mites how shall I treat them. He also needs alot of grooming he has locked fur and dirty hocks and dirty fur but he doesn't like being groomed I only tried to brush him and now he's running away from me.

Last edited:
So bugs was shaking his head today and there is some thing on the back of his ears which looks like dried skin. If he has mites how shall I treat them. He also needs alot of grooming he has locked fur and dirty hocks and dirty fur but he doesn't like being groomed I only tried to brush him and now he's running away from me.
It may not be mites, but I don't know. Sometimes they just have dry flaky skin. My lionhead gets that sometimes, especially on the back of his ears, it just happens I guess. But I would search for other signs of mites, or treat just to be safe. However, I've never had them so I don't know how to treat them, so maybe others can chime in here. Sorry about that.

Does he sit still on your lap? It may take you more time to be able to properly groom him. I know when my rabbits get mats or dirty fur, I trim it off with scissors. If he can sit still for that, maybe you can trim off any bad parts; just don't cut too much fur. Just the dirty parts. I would stay away from trimming stuff on his feet unless it is very bad, but only take off a very thin top layer of the worst of the dirty fur if you must or feel the need to. I have done this with my bunny once, but I'm very careful not to take much off at all on her feet, since they need that protection to avoid sore hocks.

It may not be mites, but I don't know. Sometimes they just have dry flaky skin. My lionhead gets that sometimes, especially on the back of his ears, it just happens I guess. But I would search for other signs of mites, or treat just to be safe. However, I've never had them so I don't know how to treat them, so maybe others can chime in here. Sorry about that.

Does he sit still on your lap? It may take you more time to be able to properly groom him. I know when my rabbits get mats or dirty fur, I trim it off with scissors. If he can sit still for that, maybe you can trim off any bad parts; just don't cut too much fur. Just the dirty parts. I would stay away from trimming stuff on his feet unless it is very bad, but only take off a very thin top layer of the worst of the dirty fur if you must or feel the need to. I have done this with my bunny once, but I'm very careful not to take much off at all on her feet, since they need that protection to avoid sore hocks.
He doesn't sit still on my lap but will for carrots. His hocks are covered in layers of soil from the underside.

I used to do this with my long haired cat, for years. Then one day I knicked him. Nope, don’t recommend it at all, it’s too stressful. However, if you are able to put a comb between his skin and the scissors, well take your chances, but please be extremely careful.

I used to do this with my long haired cat, for years. Then one day I knicked him. Nope, don’t recommend it at all, it’s too stressful. However, if you are able to put a comb between his skin and the scissors, well take your chances, but please be extremely careful.
He's gonna loose trust but seems like a one time thing if grooming is maintained so I'll try.

I went to the place with the rabbits yesterday..

There was one large rabbit in a little cage with no hay or toys, on a little water bottle, and it was very dirty. There was only a bit of bedding too. The sign said his owner surrendered him but pays monthly for his care. Not sure what the money was going to though..

And there were three rabbits in a pen outside in the petting zoo area but no one could pet them. It was covered but not at all predator proof. There are lots of animals around there that could easily kill them if they wanted to. Also no hay or toys. There was one wooden rectangular box that two of them were in. I guess it's supposed to be a hidey house? The lid was open though. They had two water bottles, one of which was halfway under dirty bedding and the other was nearly empty. There was a large water bowl but it was very dirty. This pen also had little bedding that was dirty. They could probably dig their way out.

I'll attach some pics in a sec

Back
Top Bottom