The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Pics
Weird! How do you eat it? Honestly, doesn’t it freak you out? At least at first? I imagine you get used to it after a bit.
I chickened out and didn't eat the grey meat chicken, a friend of mine ate the thighs and drum sticks and told me it was the best chicken he ever ate and he ate a lot of thighs and drum sticks from me. I was going to eat the grey breast meat but my stomach would knot up every time I thought about cooking it and eventually it had been in the Fridge too long that I figured I better throw it out.

I chickened out and didn't eat the grey meat chicken, a friend of mine ate the thighs and drum sticks and told me it was the best chicken he ever ate and he ate a lot of thighs and drum sticks from me. I was going to eat the grey breast meat but my stomach would knot up every time I thought about cooking it and eventually it had been in the Fridge too long that I figured I better throw it out.
Lol! I guess that’s something to keep in mind for anyone looking to get into this breed. I believe silkies also have black meat.
American Blues are supposedly a decent meat rabbit but hard to find. San Juan rabbits I recall reading about like they are some sort of breed that came about naturally but my memory has its faults. that's all I know about either of them.
We used to have dutch and standard rex but they’re my kid’s 4H, so when he got tired and wanted to sell them off I let him. I’ve missed them ever since! Can’t find standard rexes anywhere around me. We found the San Juan’s in a local farm store and I melted. They were bred to resemble the cotton tail rabbit for hunters to train their dogs with, apparently on the island of San Juan, hence the name.

My next question regards your name, Compost King. What does the King put in his compost? I recently found a good gardening podcast, but he really doesn’t condone anything other than coffee grounds and shredded leaves. It makes sense, but the only reason I started to compost is because I hate to throw away food. Your thoughts?

My next question regards your name, Compost King. What does the King put in his compost? I recently found a good gardening podcast, but he really doesn’t condone anything other than coffee grounds and shredded leaves. It makes sense, but the only reason I started to compost is because I hate to throw away food. Your thoughts?
anything Organic I can find.. with a few exceptions. Mostly Chicken bedding, Rabbit bedding, I shovel out the Chicken Runs which get filled with all sorts of things like a pre compost area and the chickens feed off of it from bugs maggots and worms. Bedding material can be shredded news paper (especially from brooders) Straw, Hay, Saw dust cardboard etc. Materials that end up in the chicken runs, Mulch, Weeds, Grass Clippings, eggshells an scratch grains that chickens forget to eat. the bottom of my piles are full of logs and such and sometimes go through a few piles before they soften up and break down. A lot of bamboo ends up in my compost piles because they provide air.
Sometimes I find free manure (cow or horse) on craigslist and I bring home as much as I can carry.

in the following thread I took a bunch of pictures showing how I build a compost pile, I am still adding to this pile

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/calling-all-composters.1395144/ The post is post # 18. The pile is probably halfway done.

What's the best way to provide hay? I know they like to eat when doing their business so lots of hay in litter box, but what other ways would be good? Would just having it in the litterbox be enough?
I'm not sure I'll be able to have a hay rack over the litterbox because I want a hooded one but maybe I could out one somewhere else

Last edited:
What's the best way to provide hay? I know they like to eat when doing their business so lots of hay in litter box, but what other ways would be good? Would just having it in the litterbox be enough?
I'm not sure I'll be able to have a hat rack over the litterbox because I want a hooded one but maybe I could out one somewhere else
I just give them a handful. I don’t worry about the waste because I just put it in my compost. I have seen people make their own hayracks. I don’t have a pattern, sorry.

I'm not sure I'll be able to have a hay rack over the litterbox because I want a hooded one but maybe I could out one somewhere else
Hay silo. Fill it and forget it for a few days. I don't like the buns eating from the litter box so I offer them an unsoiled option and they use it. I'm thinking about a hooded box for the extra in the other area of their pen but so far I'm just using open ones.

Attachments

• 20200809_091831_HDR.jpg
    20200809_091831_HDR.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom