The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

@A Peacock called Penelope
Apparently Pakistan has a LOT of chickpeas (garbonzo beans)! That would be a potential food source for your rabbit!
https://ejnf.journals.ekb.eg/article_74876_cf6bf0614ecd23393ad8ccffdf64ff60.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ck-peas_utilisation_in_growing_rabbit_feeding

These two studies show using chickpeas in rabbit feed showed no negative effects, or even positive growth rate increases when replacing barley. If you can find chickpea screenings they may be quite inexpensive as well. (These are damaged, split or off size chickpeas).

I don't know if you can find spent chickpea plants dried for hay but that would be a good food source as well.
Wheat can also be an easy source of calories, and Pakistan grows a lot of wheat. Whole wheat berries could probably be mixed 1 to 1 with the chickpeas as a calorie supplement.

I would offer a tablespoon, increasing by 1/2 tbsp a day until you're offering 1/4C a day and see if that makes a difference.
Oh I have chick peas at my home do I have to boil them they are very hard? And tysm for the information I really appreciate it. I also have whole grain wheat.

Last edited:
27FD6B77-5BFF-4A40-AAB0-C4CD56D48577.jpeg CC7A0AC6-B58F-42C9-81CE-FB1BF59DB1FE.jpeg 4ED3A9DB-F989-4001-A10E-292DF7397BBC.jpeg
So this is what Snickles thought about manicure day. He’s still chilling on my back as I groan and die because I don’t have the heart to move him. (Also ignore my nasty self. I just cleaned his cage and trimmed his claws and everything so I look like a medieval peasant XD)

I'm very conflicted right now...It's looking like I may be having to have one of my rabbits put down. :(

Just the other day I noticed Pumpkin, one of my bunnies, had an abscess on her jaw. I had another rabbit who had to be put down because of one of these, so I know all about them...

Knowing that, we don't want to put her through extensive surgery and treatment, one because I know what it was like for our other rabbit (not fun...for bunny or us...) and two because it's very expensive. My only options at this point is to put her on antibiotics (we went to the vet today and they already gave us some to start her on) and have the abscess drained and hope for the best, or let her live out her life for a while and then put her down when it gets too bad...

It's such a tough decision -- I love all my pets and work very hard on giving them good lives. But this is the sad side of owning animals. My mom is against putting Pumpkin thru having the abscess drained, although I'm leaning toward that option, although I have my own decisions to make, considering I don't have a job, only have a little saved money (and need to continue to save from future odd jobs for once I'm out of college) and I would be paying for most if not all of the treatment, which is probably costly itself. I don't think we got a direct estimate for a lancing, though.

Sorry for the sad and long post... Sometimes it's nice to rant though lol. Here's an older picture of my cute Pumpkin to brighten things up a bit:
20200209_090756.jpg

I'm very conflicted right now...It's looking like I may be having to have one of my rabbits put down. :(

Just the other day I noticed Pumpkin, one of my bunnies, had an abscess on her jaw. I had another rabbit who had to be put down because of one of these, so I know all about them...

Knowing that, we don't want to put her through extensive surgery and treatment, one because I know what it was like for our other rabbit (not fun...for bunny or us...) and two because it's very expensive. My only options at this point is to put her on antibiotics (we went to the vet today and they already gave us some to start her on) and have the abscess drained and hope for the best, or let her live out her life for a while and then put her down when it gets too bad...

It's such a tough decision -- I love all my pets and work very hard on giving them good lives. But this is the sad side of owning animals. My mom is against putting Pumpkin thru having the abscess drained, although I'm leaning toward that option, although I have my own decisions to make, considering I don't have a job, only have a little saved money (and need to continue to save from future odd jobs for once I'm out of college) and I would be paying for most if not all of the treatment, which is probably costly itself. I don't think we got a direct estimate for a lancing, though.

Sorry for the sad and long post... Sometimes it's nice to rant though lol. Here's an older picture of my cute Pumpkin to brighten things up a bit:
View attachment 2343143
Why don’t you at least get an estimate for the lancing before you decide anything?

Why don’t you at least get an estimate for the lancing before you decide anything?
I would also get an estimate and decide from there. Some procedures like that aren't expensive.
Oh yeah, I did forget to mention it but we most certainly will get an estimate before making a decision like that. Probably within the next few days, and then go from there. I think they will be doing a check-up call anyways so we can always ask then. I certainly hope it won't be too expensive. I really want to give her the biggest chance I can.

Back
Top Bottom