The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Hi guys! I have a bit of a problem. Our rabbits aren't breeding like.. well.. rabbits. We have put Buck and Lily together like 15 times but she. keeps. sitting. down. Has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior? Our friends have the same sort of rabbits (NZR) and they have the same problem. Sorry for the awkward question, but they are driving me insane!

Hi guys! I have a bit of a problem. Our rabbits aren't breeding like.. well.. rabbits. We have put Buck and Lily together like 15 times but she. keeps. sitting. down. Has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior? Our friends have the same sort of rabbits (NZR) and they have the same problem. Sorry for the awkward question, but they are driving me insane!
They need some romantic music

Sure, there's lots of reasons for this. It's a pretty common problem.
Age (too old, too young), hormone fluctuations, weather, weight, proximity of does to bucks, experience of the rabbits involved, predators harassing the bunnies, genetics, injury, stress, not enough space, sad rabbits, or just being moody....
So to narrow it down;
How old are they?
What environment are they being kept in?
Are they healthy and not overweight?
Have they been bred before?
What's your local weather like?

My experience is the best way to handle it is to feed the doe a little extra for a day or two, bring the doe to the buck and give them about 15-20 minutes together at around midday and watch them... And then repeat until you actually see a successful breeding happen.

Sure, there's lots of reasons for this. It's a pretty common problem.
Age (too old, too young), hormone fluctuations, weather, weight, proximity of does to bucks, experience of the rabbits involved, predators harassing the bunnies, genetics, injury, stress, not enough space, sad rabbits, or just being moody....
So to narrow it down;
How old are they?
What environment are they being kept in?
Are they healthy and not overweight?
Have they been bred before?
What's your local weather like?

My experience is the best way to handle it is to feed the doe a little extra for a day or two, bring the doe to the buck and give them about 15-20 minutes together at around midday and watch them... And then repeat until you actually see a successful breeding happen.
Ditto

I think I could eat cat if either A) Feral cats were a serious problem in my area especially to the point of being pests or interfering in my ability to feed myself and raise small livestock. B) I was very hungry, but not like crazy hungry, like maybe a day hungry. I'm pretty weak when it comes to food. :lau
In a lot of places, well, they're both. So they eat cats. And I can't blame them for it.
I don’t eat any animals or products made from animals. It doesn’t agree with my body so I just stay away from it.

I’m sure they taste like chicken... that’s what most meat tastes like lol

Oh how did I not get notifications for this thread?

I've always said I would like to raise some animals for meat, mostly chickens and maybeee rabbits. But, being a big animal lover, I'm still hesitant lol. Then again, I've toughened up a lot over the last year or so; having ducks I think helped because they were so different to raise and care for compared to other pets I had. (mostly pocket pets--gerbils, fish, parakeets, and then my two rabbits) So maybe I will get there and be able to eat my own animals I raise. :p I definitely like the idea of knowing exactly what goes into them and how they are cared for--that way I know I give the animal a good, proper life before eating them. Plus I'm sure they'll taste better than store bought lol!

Oh how did I not get notifications for this thread?

I've always said I would like to raise some animals for meat, mostly chickens and maybeee rabbits. But, being a big animal lover, I'm still hesitant lol. Then again, I've toughened up a lot over the last year or so; having ducks I think helped because they were so different to raise and care for compared to other pets I had. (mostly pocket pets--gerbils, fish, parakeets, and then my two rabbits) So maybe I will get there and be able to eat my own animals I raise. :p I definitely like the idea of knowing exactly what goes into them and how they are cared for--that way I know I give the animal a good, proper life before eating them. Plus I'm sure they'll taste better than store bought lol!
So I don’t eat meat but my family does. If you knew me, you’d know I’m a huge animal lover. Well I can butcher chickens with no problem because it provides meat for my family. The first few weren’t easy, but now I know it’s going to be food for my family including my dogs. It’s nice knowing that I raised the chicken from an egg and I know exactly what it ate.

So I don’t eat meat but my family does. If you knew me, you’d know I’m a huge animal lover. Well I can butcher chickens with no problem because it provides meat for my family. The first few weren’t easy, but now I know it’s going to be food for my family including my dogs. It’s nice knowing that I raised the chicken from an egg and I know exactly what it ate.
Yeah, I get that. It's that hard balance of loving animals, but knowing that they can serve a purpose too. And for certain I like the idea of raising my own animals and knowing what life I give them and what they get fed. I think that's a huge factor in why I'm interested in raising at least chickens for meat.

Yeah, I get that. It's that hard balance of loving animals, but knowing that they can serve a purpose too. And for certain I like the idea of raising my own animals and knowing what life I give them and what they get fed. I think that's a huge factor in why I'm interested in raising at least chickens for meat.
I love raising chickens for meat. Butchering can be tough sometimes, but I get it done. I’m going to try quail sometime this week. I have about 30 that need to be done.

Back
Top Bottom