The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

Hi ya'll! I have 2 New Zealands. Our female is 4 months and our male is 7 months. Right now they are both in individual 30 x 36 cages. Since it is winter and cold here we have not tackled building them a "run" to hang out in the grass. Our large garden has a rabbit proof fence, but is only 28" tall. Do you think this is tall enough? I would feel horrible if they jumped the fence and we couldn't catch them, but at the same time I don't want them stuck in their cages 24/7. Thanks!

I've had a rabbit jump 3' nearly straight up, though most won't. 2' might keep them in if they were very happy and lazy and fixed. Maybe. It won't keep most rabbits in as they are escape artists. 3' will keep most rabbits in and 4' would keep them all in.
Thank you! Our neighbors have a small ish 4ft tall dog kennel that we never see them use. We are going to see if we can buy it from them and use that for now :)

Does anyone know if this mini lop x lionhead mix is show quality?

jupiter.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this mini lop x lionhead mix is show quality?

View attachment 2489074

Mixes aren't able to be shown. I know there's some non breed show styles like junior showmanship for pet rabbits in 4H or rabbit jumping that don't care about breed but they have less to do with how a rabbit looks than how it acts. Most of the time rabbit shows (and the term show quality) are focused on how close a rabbit is to its breed standard and a mix would be disqualified.

For example that rabbit does not have lop ears (dq for lop breeds) and it doesn't have a mane (dq for lionheads). Part of me wonders if it is even either of those breeds.

He's a cute rabbit. But if you want to show purebred rabbits are the only way to go.

I agree the all white one looks to be either a NZ or Fl White. Your doe though isn't a dutch. Most likely a mix breed.
Where did you get them from? Are they being sold for meat or as pets?
Yiu should check out BackYard Herds. A lit of rabbit farmers there that can help. Not as many people there but there you mat find it useful

i got them from a local farmer and i'm selling for both meat and pet purposes
any reason why you asked

Back
Top Bottom