The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

It's that time of year! The temps go down past zero (fahrenheit) and I freak out over my outdoor hollands. They have three inches of hay in an enclosed bedroom with only a tunnel access to the outdoor part of the hutch which is wrapped in plastic (with a vent).

STILL I am up at night checking the temp and thinking they will freeze. :hit

Please remind me that they will not freeze. Help a girl out.

It's that time of year! The temps go down past zero (fahrenheit) and I freak out over my outdoor hollands. They have three inches of hay in an enclosed bedroom with only a tunnel access to the outdoor part of the hutch which is wrapped in plastic (with a vent).

STILL I am up at night checking the temp and thinking they will freeze. :hit

Please remind me that they will not freeze. Help a girl out.
That sounds like a cool setup!
Rabbits typically do well in the cold so they should be fine. They'll cuddle up together and stay in a warm spot. I'm sure they'll be just fine. If they are all adults they should have no problem regulating their own body heat.
I'm sure they'll be just fine :hugs

danbun.png

This is my hutch. They have hay and cardboard boxes. Sometimes, if it's raining and cold, we put tarps around the sides. Your bunnies will be good. :)

That sounds like a cool setup!
Rabbits typically do well in the cold so they should be fine. They'll cuddle up together and stay in a warm spot. I'm sure they'll be just fine. If they are all adults they should have no problem regulating their own body heat.
I'm sure they'll be just fine :hugs
Thank you! I know you're right - but it's so scary to see the temps dip down. I go out and feel their little arm pits to be sure they're still warm :lau -- Which is a crazy person thing to do, i know...

View attachment 2511788

This is my hutch. They have hay and cardboard boxes. Sometimes, if it's raining and cold, we put tarps around the sides. Your bunnies will be good. :)
Oh my goodness. Thank you! Cleveland - perfect! Nice hutch! Have you ever had to bring them inside? What about the 2014 polar vortex?! I am not new to breeding at all, but I am still relatively new to OUTDOOR breeding and last year was relatively warm, so I am a mess right now.

View attachment 2511788

This is their hutch. Their bedroom has a little tunnel now instead of an open door. And the wire is wrapped in plastic. We're expanding now with a larger one like yours. --love from Bowling Green!
IMG_9088.jpeg

Oh my goodness. Thank you! Cleveland - perfect! Nice hutch! Have you ever had to bring them inside? What about the 2014 polar vortex?! I am not new to breeding at all, but I am still relatively new to OUTDOOR breeding and last year was relatively warm, so I am a mess right now.

In the 2014 polar vortex this hutch wasn't built but they did fine in our unheated garage... Which is admittedly a handful of degrees warmer than outside because of radiant heat from the house, and windchill factor is nil.

Litters of 3 or less can't maintain their body temps outdoors in less than 25ish*F. 4 is sketchy and depends on nest quality, moms care (is she a once a day or twice a day feeder? Does she like to pee in the boxes, even just once? Does she clean her kits well?) and general kit quality. Never had a problem with 5+ kits.

Litters born on the wire (in this case, in the hay) or not in a properly built nest may struggle. I keep extra fur around from previous nests of molts and I use it to help moms that don't build good nests build better nests.

As a reminder, a kit isn't dead until it's warm and dead (goes for any baby anything you find, and a lot of adult things too) so if you DO get a chilled litter, don't give up hope. Try to warm them up before you call it.

Never had to bring adults inside for anything but a malfunction in the hutch (like broken wire).

Back
Top Bottom