The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

So I’ll be doing some searching, but one of my bucks has this mass around his genital area. And I’m not sure what it is yet. :hmm He is only a year old. I did notice some darker pee from him a while ago. But then I didn’t and it wasn’t too long after I got him, so I didn’t get too concerned. All of my other rabbits seem to be thriving.

Fodder and hay are the same thing as far as I know. They are both cut dried grasses. Generally a mix of grasses it good. So it might say something like Prairie grasses, or native fodder. Other times it might have a particular grass listed, like Bermuda, or Timothy. If you can grow dark greens like spinach and kale, they can have those.
They can not go from a diet of all dried grasses to all fresh. You need to make diet changes slowly. But I give mine hay all the time, some pellets, and a small amount of fresh dark greens from my garden regularly.

Straw has had the nutritional stuff taken from it. They will eat on it, but it’s not actually feeding them. And I don’t think rabbits can have anything fermented, so silage is a no. I don’t know much about it, but if they are feeding straw and silage to cattle, the straw is just for fiber, the the silage had all the nutritional
Thank you for replying. I will see what I can provide them.

Do any of you have issues with wasps in your hutches? If so how do you deal with them? Looking to build a new hutch this year, we always had wasps move into the last one, I'm wondering if there's something I can use in the design to deter them? Or just spray them when they get there?

Do any of you have issues with wasps in your hutches? If so how do you deal with them? Looking to build a new hutch this year, we always had wasps move into the last one, I'm wondering if there's something I can use in the design to deter them? Or just spray them when they get there?
We use petrol to kill them but never used petrol near our pets idk how safe that is.

We have a lot of wasp around, and have zero issues with them attacking us. Normally if they are in an area we don’t like we knock down the nest at night. They are really beneficial for the environment, especially if you garden.

Can dried wheat grass be used as hay? If yes then I can grow my own hay!
I’m sure it could. But you’ll probably want something else as well. And the sugars and proteins change once they are dried. As well as the sugar & protein ratio to fiber. I know too much protein can cause issues. Same for augers. You’ll probably want to research different hay types. Or even search for growing your own rabbit fodder. I know there are people out there who don’t buy much, or any commercial feed. They grow it all. That is a direction I’d like to go. But I don’t have any experience. I just know it is possible.

I’m sure it could. But you’ll probably want something else as well. And the sugars and proteins change once they are dried. As well as the sugar & protein ratio to fiber. I know too much protein can cause issues. Same for augers. You’ll probably want to research different hay types. Or even search for growing your own rabbit fodder. I know there are people out there who don’t buy much, or any commercial feed. They grow it all. That is a direction I’d like to go. But I don’t have any experience. I just know it is possible.
I have been doing my research and it seems like oat grass is a better option. I have alot of wild grass growing in my village which I could use as hay if I figure out wht type it is. We don't have raccoons here so roundworms won't be a problem I think.

Little update on the kits, they’re growing fast! Also this might be a long shot but is there anyone that has Silver Foxes available in Utah?
04844A73-00FB-4E5C-B936-C68A5ED14E23.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom