The Bunny Chat Thread - For Bunny Owners

i have a little lionhead lop doe and im not planing on ever breeding her should i get her spayed?
View attachment 2844383
she lives inside.
My goodness, she's adorable! Whats her name?

Yes, I would definitely get her spayed once she's 6 months old. That will help calm her craziness down (if she isn't crazy already she will be by 6 months), help with litter training, and spaying prevents fatal health issues that often occur in unspayed does.

Yes, I would definitely get her spayed once she's 6 months old. That will help calm her craziness down (if she isn't crazy already she will be by 6 months), help with litter training, and spaying prevents fatal health issues that often occur in unspayed does.
her name is Laila! Ok thanks!

My Sophie is eight years old, and she is not spayed. I guess she’s lucky. I didn’t know spaying prevents fatal health issues.

Lesson learned.

I took this picture on one of our hot days about a month ago. I think the heat was getting to her that day.

It’s cooled down now, and she is doing great!

54C15FD9-779F-4AD6-870F-5F7D429A2C24.jpeg

My Sophie is eight years old, and she is not spayed. I guess she’s lucky. I didn’t know spaying prevents fatal health issues.

Lesson learned.

I took this picture on one of our hot days about a month ago. I think the heat was getting to her that day.

It’s cooled down now, and she is doing great!

View attachment 2844420
I think if you don't get them spayed their is a 80% chance of girls developing cancer or something. Right?

im going to look it up.
Many people are surprised to learn that it's a rabbit's best interest to have him neutered or her spayed. But it's as true for a rabbit as it is for a dog or cat.
Depending on his/her genetic makeup, a rabbit will reach sexual maturity somewhere between the age of 3 to 8 months. Once the sex hormones start flowing, expect to see behavioral changes. Some may be cute: a sexy rabbit may circling your legs, honking a little love song, be very needy and cuddly and follow you around incessantly. Other puberty-related behaviors are not so cute: a honking, singing bunny circling your legs who finishes the symphony with a flourish of urine spray and then sits there looking up at you for approval of this sign of unconditional love. And some hormone-related phenomena are simply dangerous to your bunny: unspayed, unbred female rabbits have a very high risk of uterine cancer.

Although not all rabbits exhibit objectionable behaviors upon reaching sexual maturity, many (if not most) do. One can expect to see the following behaviors once those sex hormones kick in:

• loss of previously good litterbox habits
  • spraying urine (a sign of love, but still...)
  • mounting/humping of objects such as toys or your unsuspecting head
  • growling and boxing
  • territorial biting/nipping
  • aggressive/possessive lunging and biting
  • circling and honking
  • destructive chewing and digging (especially in females)

Yes, unspayed female rabbits do have a much higher chance of developing cancer than a spayed rabbit if they are not bred. I don't really know the percentages off the top of my head lol but I know it is much higher regardless.
However, that doesn't mean it's wrong or cruel to not spay your doe if you aren't breeding her. Everyone has their own opinion and reasons to spay or not to spay and in some cases might not be able to afford it, so it's kinda up to you. It is highly suggested and recommended, and I agree with this, that if you have a pet female rabbit and are able to, get her spayed. It can prevent health problems and also all those hormonal problems you researched and shared here.
I'm more in the camp, though, to spay to lengthen their life and prevent potentially tragic health problems like cancer that could bring about costly vet bills and potential early death.
Not spaying doesn't mean your rabbit will get cancer and die at age 5 (look at cute Sophie on this thread! :)) but it's just a preventative since the facts are there. As with any animal, you never know what will happen--going both directions, for spayed and not spayed. My Harlequin doe I had died of sudden stasis at 6yo, while my Lionhead has survived 2 ear infections and is going strong at 11yo. So you can't say what will claim your rabbit's life or what will happen to them.

Also, your rabbit is so adorable Juniper! 😍

Back
Top Bottom