The Buzzz in Bee's Hive

Update: The ninth chick died durring the night. It was just to weak.
sad.png

Mama and I picked out two Buff Orpington chicks from the feed store this morning. They are one day older then this latest hatch so with put them together. They were welcomed, without any pecking from the other eight. We are hoping at least one will be a rooster.

M.J. ~ Four of the eight are Ameraucana's from my pair. Two are Ameracana (Rooster) and Buff Orpington (Hen) and two are Ameracana/Buff Cochin (Hen)... which you can tell by the feathers on the legs
smile.png

My son is improving daily. He is a healthy, growing boy, and I don't think this will keep him down, or still for long. I just hope he doesn't have future problems from the injuries.

He still doesn't remember. That bothers me, but it might be best that he doesn't. I don't think I would want to remember a truck hitting me either.

I am soo glad your son is ok.And I will also stop talking on my cell while driving what a good wake up call.Good luck with the chicks they are all so cute.

New babies!
Seven are from my own eggs... one is still in the hatcher drying and one more is pipped.
The darkest chick is the only one that has hatched from the "March Swap".

04-23-2008180.jpg

Wow! I haven't posted here in over a year. A lot's happened with our hatches from last year. At one time we had 98 chickens. We lost more then half to hungry wildlife. We've traded all the rooster's for feed. We now have seventeen hen's all laying. Plenty of eggs to enjoy.

New year and tried to let it pass without hatching. Didn't happen. Tomorrow is day 21 for thirteen Welsummer eggs. We did have fourteen, but culled one out a week ago. I went to the kitchen a bit ago, for a drink before going to bed. Forgot all about the drink when I heard a very loud peeping from the room off the kitchen where we keep the incubator and brooder. One fuzzy butt is totally hatched out. Still wet so hasn't been out for long. I don't see any other pip's. Looks like someone was in a hurry to be first.

The incubator we are using has two very small windows. It's a great bator, just hard to see much and take pictures. I will take some after the hatchlings dry and are moved to the brooder.

This is the first chick in my Welsummer flock. I don't have leg rings to keep up with who is who. Is there any other safe way to mark or keep track?

Update on Incubated Welsummer Eggs~

On the 21st day, with one chick in the incubator that hatched on day 20 and four pips, we had a thunderstorm that cause a power outage. Two hours later, the power came back on. Durring the evening/night, four hatched. One of the partway zipped eggs died after the outage, not finishing the zip process.

On day 22 with the temp holding steady, we had four pips and two trying to unzip....

and the thunder rolls.

Another power outage, durring which one of the two unzipping, finished hatching, and after which, one of the pips hatched. No life was heard or seen in the remaining eggs.

I feel lucky to have the seven chicks that were able to hatch, with the two power outages back to back within 24 hours.

112408_b2070.jpg

I got the first batch of Welsummer eggs from McSpin out of NY. All fourteen eggs arrived well wrapped and safe.
Thank you Steve.

My incubator is set up and I'm ajusting the temp as I wait for more eggs to arrive.

AussieSharon is sending Welsummer's and McSpin is sending blue, black, splash Ameraucana.

Bee,

From your photo, it looks like you have at least 5 pullets - at least you got lucky on that part.

I had another customer who had 20 out of 24 hatch last week, with 13 pullets. My own hatches usually end up mostly cockerels.

Steve

~Incubating Welsummer's and BBS Ameraucana's~

Day 5:
*Culled 8 eggs while trying to find the cause of an unpleasent oder.
*Marked several to recheck in a couple of days.
*Spotted veins in several.

This afternoon, I still smell the oder, although it is faint.
*Concerned about the safety of the good eggs.
*Wondering if the oder will stay till the incubator is cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom