The Calico/Aloha/Mottled Naked Neck Thread

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I've got a few shots today if the Calico colored Naked Necks that I have.

One of two pullets that looks like they're going to turn out Calico colored. Aloha lines.

This one has a big white patch in her back a fairly good sign of the Calico look.

I've got a couple of fully feathered ones. When I get a chance to get more pictures. I'll post them on the Aloha thread.
Pretty! Especially the one on top. Lovely!

Here's a pic of the boy that sadly I lost just last week. Bummer.

I have this new one growing out now. Not a lot of spots, true, but gorgeous pale Buff color with Dun! And for sure a carrier. The small spots may fade out but will throw Mottled in offspring.

Very big and robust. Bigger than most of the "regular" neck Alohas in the pen. And these are Aloha chicks that were hatched from my largest rooster and some of my biggest hens!

I gave a friend of mine a bunch of eggs to hatch out, and I told him to bring back the Naked Neck chicks because I have a couple of friends who have shown interest in raising the Aloha NN's. He's supposed to bring some by today if it works out. Excited!

Last edited:
The NN roosters have been a source of human aggression in two cases. The base stock NN bloodline is from Privett Hatchery, NM. I had one last year that was given away because he was persistently aggressive. Remember the one used in this pen was not. So each boy is different.

The "regular" Alohas here - aggression towards humans or other roosters is very rare. Right now I have four Aloha roosters (no NN blood) living together in the barn. Previously five. Alohas are gamey and do a lot of puffing and show but tend to back down fast if you hold your ground. Alohas are mostly posers trying to look tough for the ladies with little to back it up in other words. When they get into a fight, I love to watch, because there is fluffing and jumping and yet they rarely lose a feather. It's like humane cockfighting. LOL. More like the chicken version of professional wrestling. Looks amazing but they walk away unhurt. It is about order not causing injury.

The lowest ranking get chased a lot (but not injured) and the two top roosters got into it pretty bad about a month ago. No cuts but lots of wrestling with each other, like locking necks together and chest bumping kind of stuff. Unfortunately, Thing 1 (my fave Aloha / Buff Sussex cross) pulled a leg muscle or tendon. Giving him a chance to try and heal in another pen. So they were not "out for blood" but would not STOP messing with each other for days! It was like guys - give it a rest already!

There was one Aloha years ago who was human aggressive (replaced as soon as I could) but the most human aggressive was strangely the pure Swedish, but I think that was his handling. He was raised by kids and not afraid of humans.

All five Aloha roosters in the barn have been totally ignoring me for the last year.

The NN rooster down in Tucson is obnoxiously aggressive, from what I've heard. Again - hand raised. I recommend less human interaction for roosters. Need them to be a little wary of people so they give a bit of respect. Remind them that they taste like chicken if that helps. LOL!
:thumbsup:goodpost::highfive: I also recommend less human interaction with roosters. at least for the first year, i have 8 roos of different breeds , i raise 2 each in large pens 40x40 foot, they have a good life,shade and trees to sit in , i do talk to them every day when i feed them ,they can see all my free ranging flock of 70 along with my one big old head roo a SOP hupp bloodline blue australorp, named Blue , he is going on 5 years old, never any problems with him ever ,the other roos are Del,Riw, Cw, Slw,RIR, Nhr, Br, to match my hens , some of these breeds can be aggressive , but not mine they go into their new pen homes by 12 to 14 weeks or just before they start in after the hens , i have had very good out comes from doing this with most any roo. the aggression never begins thats the key, and after one year old they are naturally calmer. if you have some favorite roos & dont want to risk them turning aggressive, just pen them up and treat them with kindness, i am interested in the NN, & your Alohas are simply gorgeous...!!! :woot:thumbsup:yesss: i love the coloring on you beautiful Aloha's i might be interested in an NN Aloha roo with possibly the blue egg gene..? would that be at all possible ..? i would also love a Mottled NN roo , if you have any you could part with ,let me know :jumpy take care have a good day :frow& again really very nice Alohas:yesss::ya:yesss::ya:woot:ya:clap:clap:clap:highfive::yesss::ya:yesss:

Last edited:
I've been away from BYC for a while, but thought I'd come back and post a photo of the boy I decided to keep (I kept 6 of them for a long time to see how they turned out). His name is Harley (short for harlequin). He's big and lovely, and had the best coloring/mottling of all of my boys by far. (Unfortunately, a lot of the girls have had less and less white as they have gotten older. Great layers, though!). He flies REALLY REALLY well given his size, and can get to the top of his 5.5ft fence at one vertical fly/jump (unfortunately - he and his girls have been a handful!!!). One day I will just have to put aviary netting over their whole paddock. :he

Harley.JPG

@alohachickens

- Ant Farm

I've been away from BYC for a while, but thought I'd come back and post a photo of the boy I decided to keep (I kept 6 of them for a long time to see how they turned out). His name is Harley (short for harlequin). He's big and lovely, and had the best coloring/mottling of all of my boys by far. (Unfortunately, a lot of the girls have had less and less white as they have gotten older. Great layers, though!). He flies REALLY REALLY well given his size, and can get to the top of his 5.5ft fence at one vertical fly/jump (unfortunately - he and his girls have been a handful!!!). One day I will just have to put aviary netting over their whole paddock. :he

View attachment 1211111

@alohachickens

- Ant Farm
  • :goodpost: :frow
WOW VERY NICE ROO YOU DID GOOD....!!!!!:clap I would love a beautiful roo like that...!!!:ya:highfive::thumbsup very wonderful..!!!:celebrate:jumpy:woot

Hi, I absolutely love these birds! I've been trying to recreate these using my naked necks and Swedish flowers and I have a few questions about mottling.
My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that mottling is recessive so the first generation of naked necks crossed with Swedish would not be mottled but would be carriers. When bred back to a mottled bird then at least a percentage of the offspring would be mottled.
My question is do all first generation mottle-carriers show some sign of it (a stray white feather or feather tip)? Or can they look completely ordinary?
Also, I keep getting blue mottled pullets hatching from unknown eggs with peacombs. I don't have any mottled peacomb birds, so I'm assuming one must be a carrier? I don't see any stray white feathers on any of my peacombed hens, but I have a blue Thai hen who has a frosted appearance on her head. Is this a possible sign of carrying the mottled gene?
Thanks!

Wow I've been away from this thread a long time. I didn't realize it had gotten active.

I don't come here (BYC) much si ce they changed things up. It too hard to navigate.

@Aimer the first generation doesn't always show any white at all.

I've had a Salmon colored rooster that had no white ( other than the creamy white of the salmon color) surprised the time out of me when o had Mottled chicks show up out of some no. Mottled hens ( also carried the mottling gene).

I check in from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom