The case of the amazing disappearing speckles

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Uzuri, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So I had a rotten day today, but at least my egg-of-the-day (still only have one laying) made me smile. I picked it out of the nesting box, wiped off the sawdust and...

Huh? Little white speckles? That was a new development. Pretty, though.

So I put the egg in the fridge and went back about my business, since I was working from home.

Later in the day I told my Mom about the speckles. I said, "here, I'll show it to you" and got out the eggs.

"Yeah right," says she, and goes for her reading glasses.

"There's speckles there, I swear they were there this morning!" said I. "Joshua," I said to my brother, home sick with the flu, "don't breath on my eggs, but don't you see speckles?"

"Yeah, speckles." Don't expect much out of him when his head's blocked up.

"Oh bring them over in the light," says Mom, getting her newer reading glasses.

So I put them in the light. Fall sunlight around here is pretty darn bright, and all I could see was a brown egg. "Well that didn't help; now I can't see them either." I pulled them out of the light.

I STILL saw only brown, speckle-less eggs.

"What the-?" Said I, then turned accusingly to Mom "How did you do that?!"

And my egg still has no speckles. But I swear they were there this morning. Quite the mystery!

2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Do you think refrigeration might have made the speckles disappear? [​IMG]

3. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    I've got to wonder.

I'll probably keep wondering, too, unless I get another [​IMG]

4. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have a red sex link who lays speckled eggs sometimes dark brown speckles sometimes white speckles. The other day we were blowing out some eggs to make Christmas decs. with. My DD picked one with white speckles after we washed them they were laying on a towel to dry she says Mom I lost the one with the spots....looked for 15 min. thought maybe it rolled away or got put back in fridge. Then suddenly she laughs.. it had dried and the spots showed up again!!![​IMG]

5. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    You know what -- I wonder if the egg was sweating since I had it out of the fridge and that's what happened! I'll have to go in there and look now again before it gets a chance to sweat.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Someone washed the egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by