The case of the missing eggs?

I just saw her off the nest for a break and checked her clutch too. Of the 4 goose eggs left, 2 are developing, as is one of the ducks eggs - the other is really new. I’m nervous she’ll cull other eggs and/or abandon the good ones. This is nerve wracking!

Update: I’ve been booting her off the nest daily and watching her eat and drink a bit before moving. She looks so skinny!

However, this afternoon, the rest of the flock was free ranging in the yard. Apparently her FOMO was stronger than her mothering urge. I came out to two goose eggs in the yard (my kids helped me find the third missing one) and the nest tossed. I watched the camera and saw that momma goose flew over the temp dog barrier, apparently knocking it over. The dog was in there about two minutes later raiding the nest. By the time I came out, she’d been off the nest for over an hour and the eggs were “room temp.” I brought the viable ones in to the incubator for a few; they were stunningly intact. She appears to be setting on her smaller clutch now. I’ll give her vaible eggs back at bedtime.

Why is this so stressful?!

Meanwhile, I’m having a hard time tossing out the eggs I spent a fortune on that aren’t developing even though it has been 15 days. 😩
I feel your pain! I bought four Shetland goose hatching eggs and only one hatched out, but I still kept the other three in the incubator for a week hoping against hope that one at least would hatch, and I felt like a murderer when I finally threw them out.

I feel your pain! I bought four Shetland goose hatching eggs and only one hatched out, but I still kept the other three in the incubator for a week hoping against hope that one at least would hatch, and I felt like a murderer when I finally threw them out.
This!! ^^

I finally culled my incubator the other day, thankfully before the dog incident. I took them out back and cracked each one. Nothing but goopy yolks. I think that probably means they weren’t even fertile. I guess I can’t really blame the lady who sold them since she has a big flock. How could you possibly know?? My goose set on eggs for two weeks in winter - none of them turned out to be fertile/viable. If she didn’t know, how could I before it is time to candle them? Idk

Better luck to us both next time!

The one viable of of my incubator eggs finally hatched a few days ago. He/she is absolutely precious. Meet Couscous!​

Attachments

• D67C4726-AFB2-45E0-B705-C5F71D1A5649.jpeg
    D67C4726-AFB2-45E0-B705-C5F71D1A5649.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 3
In other news, there appeared to be 4 viable eggs under momma this morning about ready to hatch, 2 goose eggs and 2 duck eggs. All four were pipping and peeping. When I checked, last hour, momma appeared to have crushed the duck eggs. They aren’t making any noise anymore. I’m devastated and wish I had brought them in this morning.

Oh no did you look at them up close My Muscovy did this with 2 of her eggs and I was able to bring them inside in the brooder where I had 2 older ducklings and I was surprised that these 2 crushed ducklings made it.

very sweet baby you have there.

Yes. I immediately took them from her nest and brought them inside. Even though I was fairly certain about them, I whipped back out the incubator and set them up. I checked on them between work meetings but after a few hours of zero movement/progress, we said goodbye to the partially hatched duckling. I have left the other egg just in case, but I still don’t hear or feel anything from it when I did this morning.

I checked on momma’s nest again, and we have pipping on one goose egg and noise. The remaining viable egg feels like it is pecking when I whistle. I think she may have two goslings hatch soon. But sadly no ducklings. I’m so mad at myself for not listening to my gut this morning. I felt they didn’t look right, but I was trying to let momma do what her instinct tells her to do.

Lesson learned: I won’t let her set on duck eggs again.

I had to make that decision here too not every female duck becomes a good broody and mama.
I am sorry you lost the little duckling. Would love it if the other one were to make it for you.
Exciting about the goslings too.

Back
Top Bottom