The Chick Hatchery

iendecker

Chirping
Sep 28, 2022
A quick review of my experience with them. I ordered 3 dark brahma hens, 3 black lace wing red wynadotte hens, and 3 black Australorp hens. They shipped 1 extra Australorp and 1 extra wynadotte. All arrived quickly and very much alive. All are still alive and happy after 4 months BUT out of an order of 9 hens (11 received) 4 are roos! 3 of the Wyndotts are males and 1 brahma. I know sexing a day old chicks is not exact but half the order? Health wise I'm happy with them but accuracy of order? Not as much

A quick review of my experience with them. I ordered 3 dark brahma hens, 3 black lace wing red wynadotte hens, and 3 black Australorp hens. They shipped 1 extra Australorp and 1 extra wynadotte. All arrived quickly and very much alive. All are still alive and happy after 4 months BUT out of an order of 9 hens (11 received) 4 are roos! 3 of the Wyndotts are males and 1 brahma. I know sexing a day old chicks is not exact but half the order? Health wise I'm happy with them but accuracy of order? Not as much
Technically, just 2 out of the 9 were erroneously sexed so they have a 78% sexing accuracy on your order which is still pretty bad when most of the larger, well known hatcheries guarantee a 90% sexing accuracy.
The 2 extras were intentionally shipped cockerels. Hatcheries do that under the guise of "more little bodies to keep warm during the trip" when really it is a way to get rid of some of the males that no one wants to buy.

Technically, just 2 out of the 9 were erroneously sexed so they have a 78% sexing accuracy on your order which is still pretty bad when most of the larger, well known hatcheries guarantee a 90% sexing accuracy.
The 2 extras were intentionally shipped cockerels. Hatcheries do that under the guise of "more little bodies to keep warm during the trip" when really it is a way to get rid of some of the males that no one wants to buy.
Well, on the two "spares" only one is male. A red wynadotte. The other is a pullet, black Australorp. So not to bad. It's just roosters are very hard to get rid of/give away around here. I don't want to cull them as I raised them for 4 months now. I guess I could, used to hunt ducks down in island beach

Back
Top Bottom