The chicken addiction...

Buttenshaw Farm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 28, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Everyone.

This is my first BYC post so far but I have been reading advice from everyone since we started on our Chicken journey in Jan 2013! I think I am officially addicted.

So we started with 3 day old chicks which we raised, then we added 2 more at pullet stage to take us to 5 & then decided we actually wanted 8 so added 3 more. At that point we has 2 Isa crosses, 1 black Australorp, 1 light sussex bantam, 1 coronation sussex, 1 Welsummer, 1 buff Brahma & a araucana cross plymouth rock.

Unfortunately our Australorp became aggressive towards the other chooks, and after the 3rd eye injury she caused she was culled from the flock in early November. Unfortunately the coronation sussex sustained a pretty severe eye injury and inspite of being treated daily with saline, antibiotic & colloidal silver eye drops we came home from work 2 days ago to find her dead.
hit.gif
I can't help but feel responsible & wonder what else I could have done to treat the injury?

We currently have 2 broody chooks, the Brahma & the araucana cross plymouth. After much discussion with my DH last weekend we went to the hatchary & picked up some day olds which we slid under the araucana cross after reading copious amounts of posts on this forum & she is doing a GREAT job of mothering them. She is currently seperated from the flock by wire which they can see through & she is raising a lavender araucana, a salmon faverolle & a Barnevelder. Its VERY cute
love.gif

In amongst this one of my Isa's has developed this weird cough thing that's more like a honk, then she cranes her neck a bit & gasps for air. She has not lost any condition & is eating & drinking well. Its been going on for two weeks or so now & I was thinking it could be gape worm? So I have wormed the entire flock (minus the little chicks & mumma) but hoping things improve as she is the only one making the noise, so whatever it is isnt spreading... Ideas anyone?

I would like to increase the flock back to 10 after we lost the coronation sussex this week, but not sure how to do that at this point & want to ensure they flock are all happy & healthy first.

Any advice would be great!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom