The Chicken and Cat cunundrum

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harveyhorses, Jul 26, 2010.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    So my cat wants to be part of the flock, they let her hang out with them when they are free ranging, for a little while, then they will run her off (video in the picture section).
    This morning I am trying to get all my chores done outside while the flock is out and about. Weed garden, head count, yep 5 & 1, water garden, yep 5 & 1, get another cup of coffee, 4.
    Uh oh.
    Till I hear a commotion from the basement stairs, Sasha hen is pitching ONE BIG FAT FIT, she can't get through the cat door. [​IMG][​IMG] and the AND THE CAT CAN.
    All weeks need to start with that type of laugh. The cat was sitting inside taking her bath.
    Can chickens learn to use the cat door? I don't especially want them free ranging into the house, but it might not be the end of the world.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

I've seen at least one post where someone's chickens learned to use the cat door.

Imp

ETA- If yours do learn- pics are a must

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  3. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    THAT'S HILARIOUS!!!!!! I can just picture the frustration on the Hen's face and the smugness of the cat. Cats do "smug" SO well!

My cat is afraid of the chickens. Probably a good thing. Humiliating though.

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE it! I would bet you could teach them to use the cat door. Then you will have to get the kid that they wear little charms so it opens for them....great idea for the pop door to your coop!

5. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oh I had not thought of the tag thingies!
    I now have visions of
    Chickens stuck in the cat door
    Chickens visiting the rest of the house
    Chickens demanding their coffee..
    The cat was REALLY being smug.

They match so well
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/harveyhorses/4827947588/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by