"The Chicken Treasure Chest" - A short walled run with hinged roof components

SteveE

Songster
May 2, 2020
Central PA
I plan to build a short walled run to save on materials and space. But I also want to be able to walk in, upright, if I need to mess with anything. So I had the idea of building the covered roof with a hinged side, so it can swing up out of the way.

With all the great Chicken MacGyvers on this board, I'm sure this isn't a new idea. Can anyone point me to an earlier build thread for this basic concept.

Thanks

Last edited:
I did a search in coops and couldn't really find anything. Doesn't mean it can't be done. The thing about a run is that it is always bigger in square footage than the coop. This means that whatever type of roof you build has to be lightweight or you won't be able to lift it. You could divide the roof into two or three sections so that you can lift up each section separately. This would decrease the weight too.

I plan to build a short walled run to save on materials and space. But I also want to be able to walk in, upright, if I need to mess with anything. So I had the idea of building the covered roof with a hinged side, so it can swing up out of the way.

With all the great Chicken MacGyvers on this board, I'm sure this isn't a new idea. Can anyone point me to an earlier build thread for this basic concept.

Thanks
Did you ever figure anything out??

Thanks
Did you ever figure something out?

Back
Top Bottom