The chickens are shaken and so am I

My hens have a raised coop with an enclosed run where I can lock them up an hour before dark .After they go to roost I shut the pop up door. Mornings I open the pop up door and run and let then back out in the big extension. This is where they have the most "free range" lol .I have a game camera I check daily for unusual activity(predators). I'm a retired chicken lady who caters to them all day.

Interesting. I also have a raised coop - built on an old boat trailer frame. I think having the coop up off the ground helps prevent some predators from getting in the coop. At least they cannot dig their way in. I also have to manually open and shut the pop door. I was considering getting an automatic door opener, but I still enjoy opening the door myself. Also, I count all the chickens at least twice a day when I open/close the pop door and check them for abnormal behaviours that may indicate sickness.

Interesting. I also have a raised coop - built on an old boat trailer frame. I think having the coop up off the ground helps prevent some predators from getting in the coop. At least they cannot dig their way in. I also have to manually open and shut the pop door. I was considering getting an automatic door opener, but I still enjoy opening the door myself. Also, I count all the chickens at least twice a day when I open/close the pop door and check them for abnormal behaviours that may indicate sickness.
I entertained the idea of building one on a frame or wheels but never thought about a boat trailer frame! That's Ingenious! I was going to make a real small one until I realized I couldn't ventilate it properly so I scrapped the wheels idea in a hurry. I have 6 hens because they're easy to clean up after, feed and water and don't cost much to feed. I also have 4 cats and 2 dogs.(Having so many critters can get expensive at times)I think an automatic door for "back up" would be nice !If I could afford one I'd get one. There are times we can't be home (break downs) I have family members I can count on thankfully!(knock on wood)I had padlocks put on everything last week after my game camera caught a man standing out by the chicken coop and run last Sat night.
I haven't seen him since but the rains been awful here.Now I wish I had more cameras.

I took the liberty of searching for a picture of the coop you made on the boat trailer frame!I just had to see it!Lol You did a fabulous job making it! Did you do all that by yourself? If it wasn't so late(or early)in the morning I would have looked at more of the pictures you took of it.I promise I will take another peek at it after I get some sleep.After I let my chickens out I'll sleep a couple hours.

I noticed a hawk nesting in a neighboring tree before we got our chickens so I told my husband he'd have to build them a large run cause I don't want to take any chances. It's been several months and the hawk is still in that tree even after their babies left. There are plenty of doves so it's not leaving any time soon but I always catch it sitting on my fence watching the chickens, it'll fly in and land on the fence while I'm standing there so I know it's not deterred by me. Just last week my husband went out and caught it on top of the run, no doubt probably trying to figure out how to get past the hardware cloth. On the bright side, the hawks presence on my fence keeps the cats away, I was tired of them pooping in my garden lol

I took the liberty of searching for a picture of the coop you made on the boat trailer frame!I just had to see it!Lol You did a fabulous job making it! Did you do all that by yourself? If it wasn't so late(or early)in the morning I would have looked at more of the pictures you took of it.I promise I will take another peek at it after I get some sleep.After I let my chickens out I'll sleep a couple hours.

:old Yes, I made that mobile chicken coop on an old boat trailer all by myself. It's been out in the yard for 3 years now, but I still get a few compliments on the build. Mostly by those who have chickens themselves and/or have tried to build a coop for their birds.

:lau With the price of wood today, I might turn the chicken coop into a rental if I ever give up my flock! Call it one of those new trendy micro houses....

:old Yes, I made that mobile chicken coop on an old boat trailer all by myself. It's been out in the yard for 3 years now, but I still get a few compliments on the build. Mostly by those who have chickens themselves and/or have tried to build a coop for their birds.

:lau With the price of wood today, I might turn the chicken coop into a rental if I ever give up my flock! Call it one of those new trendy micro houses....
I'm thinking the same thing!

Glad you chickens are ok. You were lucky!!

I had 2 taken a couple of months ago. One was an extra Rooster. Everyone learned a lot from the attack. The chickens are more wary now, and I have witnessed them fending off another attack. Haven't seen the hawk since. If you free range, you have to know, and accept the risks.

My roosters got more aggressive after the attack, doing their job.

We had a hawk encounter a while ago. I heard our chickens squawking so I ran and looked out the window, lo and behold a chicken hawk was running around trying to catch our chickens and especially our guinea keets. I ran out there with my sister, screaming at it, and it hightailed outta there! Thank goodness our chickens were smart and they all hid in the bushes, beneath our cars, etc. It took ages to find the 3 keets, they were so well hidden! Our 5 adult male guineas helped a bunch because they were making their warning noises (CHI-CHI-CHI) and luckily our chickens listened! The hawk surprisingly hasn't attempted again. I guess we scared it. Must've been a young one looking for easy prey.

Back
Top Bottom