The Chickens Don't Like The Nesting Boxes

Just like IamRainy, I use kitty litter buckets laid on their side. I cut off the portion of the top/lid that opens and leave the "stationary" part of the lid to keep the shavings inside. They are super sturdy & easy to pull out & clean. I think the girls like the dark coziness & "privacy" that they provide. They all seem to fight over the same one even though I have three in a row. My problem is that some chick is sleeping (AND POOPING!) in them at night & my eggs are getting dirty....maybe they are TOO cozy.

My chickens recently started laying and so we bought some plain white dishpans that fit perfectly in the nesting box, and cut a little out of the front so the chickens could step in them easier. I filled them with fresh shavings and put one ceramic egg in each. I left them like that, and when I came back to lock the door, the dishpans were on the other side of the coop, the shavings were spilled, the ceramic eggs against the opposite wall, and a single, brown egg was sitting on the floor, where the boxes were before. I collected the egg, put the dishpans back, threw a handful of fresh shavings in, put the ceramic eggs back, and when I came back in the morning...it was fine, except the shavings were thrown out a little, and the fake eggs out of the bins. So I placed the fake eggs in one more time. I came back later, and the dishpans were moved, and two eggs were in its place in the nesting box. I shook my head and took the dishpans out, seeing that the chickens wanted nothing to do with them.

I'm planning on putting them back, and this time putting a screw in the bottom so it stays put, or hot gluing it the floor, or maybe even stapling it down. But all of these things would ruin the nesting box, and I don't exactly want that. I may do the screw since I can take it out if needed, but I'd like more advice on this.

Also, why are the chickens so against the bins? They had fluffy, comfy shavings, an egg to show what to do with it (I think my pullets are geniuses and secretly know they are fake). Boredom, maybe? Any help, opinions, or advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Chickens will nest where they feel comfortable. Hens newly laying may lay in the run or on the floor at first until they find the nest box that they like. My husband made two sets of nesting boxes so the hens have a choice. Very few of them laid in the same box each day, they liked to move around! I use rice straw to line the boxes. Rice straw is very soft and doesn't stick to the eggs like wood chips will. Also the hens can move it around easily and they don't throw it out like they did wood chips. Also, I have never used a fake egg and my hens have laid over 3,000 eggs for me. They will learn with time where to go. I wouldn't mess with plastic tubs unless it's all you have. Obviously the hens are not partial to them! Good luck, may you get many, many eggs.
nesting boxes & bucky.jpg

7AE1ABD7-F2BA-42AF-AF2B-7AAA306C245C.jpeg

This is my nesting box and Robin, the first egg layer. Everybody lays right there, and the white bin you see if what they keep moving! I’m thinking of using a single screw, but here’s a picture so you can better understand my situation.

(also, is Robin tying to lay an egg in that picture? I can’t tell if she’s just claiming the spot or laying...I’m new to chickens and eggs! My first batch which included Robin was only born August 2, 2017)

Put bins in area, then screw a board(about 4-6" high) in front of them to hold them in place. If bin is same size as depth of area, it should hold them steady and still be able to lift them out to clean if needed.

I big flat rock might work just as well, or better than the board....or a paver cut to size.

Back
Top Bottom