The chicks are out!!!! PICS

crazyhen

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
mtns of ,NC.
Yes eating the sand will give them a bit of grit they will need. If you give them spaghum peat moss be sure it is where it will stay dry. When wet it is a perfect fly manufacturer. I mix a bit of sevin in mine so the bugs do not bother them to bad. I usually wait until they are a couple of months old for the sevin. By then they quit eating the sand pile and figure out what it is for. Your little ones are about the same age as mine. I have NH, Dells, BRs, olive eggers, ameracuanas, and orps. Yikes 30 of them str. run. I am already seeing sooooo many little roos. I hope to have a flock of at least 10 hens but could handle more. Gloria Jean

Moonkit

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Richardson, Texas
Same thing here. It was so warm and the chicks weren't using their Ecoglow for anything but a perch to poop on.. I went ahead and moved them out to the A-frame coop that will be their home. They can't make it up onto the perches yet, so I gave them a small, pine shavings filled hamster cage covered with a blanket to sleep in and to give them security when they want. They don't seem to spend alot of time in it.. and gods.. do they LOVE sunbathing in the Texas sun. They'll flop onto their sides in a sunny spot, stretch out a wing and a leg and go into chicken rapture!

They have constant access to water with a bit of apple cider vinegar in it, medicated chick starter, and grit. They enjoy supervised forays into the back yard. With a lively population of resident cooper's hawks, there will be no unsupervised free-ranging. Our border collie, Diamond, is finally starting to show some herding instinct with helping me chase them back into the coop.

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Thank you for all the wonderful information.

I was a little worried when my chicks were
treating the sand like a buffet instead of a bath.

I would never think about pigging out on my bath water
but they seem to think that the dust bath sand is great.

As long as they need it, why not. I have plenty more.

I have 15 hens and 1 rooster now for sure. I ordered one roo
and that is what I have. I am so pleased, now lets just hope
he is a good boy.

Thanks again BYCers.

I am so glad that know that my chicks are perfectly normal

mljohnson05

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Missouri
I use SAND from day one for my chicks. I use it as the flooring in the run and coop. Not only does it allow them to Dust, but it is SOOOOOOOOO much EASIER to clean !!!!
all you need is a kitty scooper....No more bi weekly changing of the bedding or deep litter. I just go out once a week, rake over it to find the clumps and scoop it out

NottinghamChicks

Songster
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
Tip of Rockingham County, NH
Okay, but how do you get them into the coop at night? I have nine five week old d'Anvers that will not go into the coop at night. They have been in their new digs since yesterday morning (New coop, all to themselves) and I had to catch them one by one last night. Tonight I will put the brooder light on and see if they gravitate at dusk

Hope it works....

Moonkit

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Richardson, Texas
Quote:As I don't know your methods, all I can suggest is never chase them in. Just move slowly, herd them into a group and guide them in, I use my hands a few feet behind them, calling softly and calmly. My nine run right in.

Wildflower_VA

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Raphine VA, Augusta County
Quote:The trick is to keep them shut up in the coop for a few days before letting them out. That way they know the coop is their bedroom and kitchen. When you finally let them out, keep the food in the coop and water both inside and out and they will get the idea.

Top Bottom