The China Study, Anybody Read it?

Quote:
You're cracking me up tonight..
lol.png

I am so glad you posted Denise's analysis of that study. As a person who became VERY obese, developed high blood pressure , and became pre-diabetic on a vegetarian diet, junk science like the china study book makes blood boil. Listening to the anti-meat, anti-dairy crowd did nearly kill me.

Going low carb, more paleo, and reading the data from Dr. Weston Price DID save my life. Going vegetarian...not so much.

Quote:
I could get banned for at least 4 of the responses I'm thinking of.

If she had fangs would it make a difference?

(bead of sweat rolls down my forehead)

The OP is going to love where we have taken this thread.

To the OP's credit I learned something from reading this thread and the links, just not the book. A reasonable, balanced, whole food, low bad carb diet, that includes animal products is still the diet I do my best to follow and at 40 years old I'm in the best shape and health of my life.

Quote:
I could get banned for at least 4 of the responses I'm thinking of.

If she had fangs would it make a difference?

(bead of sweat rolls down my forehead)

I'll check everything out and report back later. The date is after nightfall so it will be a while.

What would you suggest for wine? There's a Spanish red called Bull's Blood that I thought might go well.

And how to find a suitable restaurant. We're meeting in Romania so I shouldn't have a problem with that.

Now, where did I put the Bandaid .......

I think the book creates a few misunderstandings, especially when not read in its entirety, carefully or balanced with other information, such as the American Heart Association. It isn't just WHAT one eats but how much, and how it's balanced with exercise.

It's fairly clear at this point that many diseases are associated with a high fat diet, and fatty meat is often A PART of a high fat diet. But just reducing the amount of fatty meat one eats alone won't completely remove the problems of health and overweight.

Sure, fatty meat is often a source of many people's overage in calories. A vegetarian diet might cut out many of the obvious problem foods, but people tend to overconsume calories in general....and...if meat is cut out, it tends to be replaced with high calorie, high fat items like cheese, sauces and butter. JUST 'going vegetarian' is not really much of a solution.

Further, most people associate meat eating with affluence and a satisfied feeling of being 'well nourished'. In Poland when there were meat shortages, people rioted. Western Europeans (Which many of us are) tend to associate meat eating with affluence and being 'well fed'. Most of us are highly unlikely to embrace an all vegetarian diet, which is typically met with objections to being 'malnourished' and 'underfed'.

SO....If one eats too many calories of ANYTHING, one gets overweight and fat. Too many calories is more than one burns off that day. Anything from french fries to organic yogurt and vegan biscuits can turn into fat in the body. The food itself does not have to be 'fatty' to be turned into fat in the body.

Meaning: While eating fatty meat certainly is bad, overeating of ANYTHING goes to fat. It can be a diet composed of all 'healthy choices' or not, if it's too many calories, it will lead to weight gain and body fat.

I don't think the 'Chinese Diet' or the 'Mediterranean Diet' or the 'Grapefruit Diet' (or the whole concept of 'fat burner foods' or ANY 'miracle diet') is going to address the problem. The free information on the American Heart Association website and a very inexpensive Weight Watcher web-based membership, probably are more to the point. The number of calories has to be balanced with exercise, at least 4 times a week, hopefully an hour each time, and enough to make one out of breath. Most house work and farm chores are not good exercise.

The typical American diet is a big problem, we are running at 30-40% obesity. So are most restaurants a problem, with huge portions of meats and fried and starchy foods. Some of those menu entries are all the calories for an entire day, or more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom