The classic who done it.

Mar 4, 2019
Alabama
Finally got my first egg today .
All chickens are 20 weeks except the marans.
Those are 6 plus months but were molting at time of purchase (Oct 23).
Of course I Didn't have my cameras set today.
Any guesses on who layed it.

The welsummers comb hasn't changed so don't think it's her.

Picture of 4 of 5 the marans after getting them.

The white egg is fake.

Screenshot_20201123-193448_Gallery.jpg
20201123_191253.jpg
20201123_181813.jpg
20201123_182331.jpg

You could pick each one up and look at their vent (the hole where eggs & poop come out).

Start with a rooster. His vent will be small and puckered looking. That is a perfect example of a chicken who is not laying eggs.

Now pick up one hen after another and look. Most of them will be about the same as the rooster. One of them will have a vent that is larger, looks a bit moist, and looks like it could stretch to let an egg come out. That's your layer.

In your photo, I'm pretty sure it's not the hen on the far right end, next to the roostrr. Either of the other two could be a possibility, or it could be one of the other birds on your list.

Being a brown egg, of course it did not come from a Polish, Andalusian, or Leghorn.

And it probably did not come from an Easter Egger or Olive Egger, although chickens sold with either of those labels do sometimes lay brown eggs, so there is a small chance it's one of them.

You could pick each one up and look at their vent (the hole where eggs & poop come out).

Start with a rooster. His vent will be small and puckered looking. That is a perfect example of a chicken who is not laying eggs.

Now pick up one hen after another and look. Most of them will be about the same as the rooster. One of them will have a vent that is larger, looks a bit moist, and looks like it could stretch to let an egg come out. That's your layer.

In your photo, I'm pretty sure it's not the hen on the far right end, next to the roostrr. Either of the other two could be a possibility, or it could be one of the other birds on your list.

Being a brown egg, of course it did not come from a Polish, Andalusian, or Leghorn.

And it probably did not come from an Easter Egger or Olive Egger, although chickens sold with either of those labels do sometimes lay brown eggs, so there is a small chance it's one of them.
I think it's the one on the far left.
I could stick two fingers between the two points.
I will confirm tomorrow with camera.

Back
Top Bottom