"The Coccidiosis in Chicks" thread

Yeah, it is!

I got a bottle of the liquid from a neighbor who also keeps chickens (a few months ago when I had other chicks with Cocci).
I bought a packet of the powder yesterday. I haven't had a chance to read the instructions, as I haven't had need of it (I still have the water I made up with the liquid my neighbor gave me). If you have a link or something, the product I have is the 20% powder (amprolium).
This is what I do:

Corid Dosage:
If any show symptoms, all chicks should be treated. There is 9 species of this disease and ONLY 2 that have blood in the stool. Critical time is when chicks are between 4-16wks. of age.

chicks need to be treated when they are 3-4wks of age. 20% CORID POWDER....1.5TSP. PER GALLON FOR 5 DAYS and then another 5 days at 1/2 tps per gallon.
and to repeat it every 3wks if they have symptoms until they reach 9mos. of age.

After this its a good idea to put it once a week in their water.

Since you are losing them and the corid helped, I would follow this for the current year. It might be better next hatching season.

This is what I do:

Corid Dosage:
If any show symptoms, all chicks should be treated. There is 9 species of this disease and ONLY 2 that have blood in the stool. Critical time is when chicks are between 4-16wks. of age.

chicks need to be treated when they are 3-4wks of age. 20% CORID POWDER....1.5TSP. PER GALLON FOR 5 DAYS and then another 5 days at 1/2 tps per gallon.
and to repeat it every 3wks if they have symptoms until they reach 9mos. of age.

After this its a good idea to put it once a week in their water.

Since you are losing them and the corid helped, I would follow this for the current year. It might be better next hatching season.
Thank you very much for this info! It's a great help to me (I'm going to copy-and-paste it onto a document and put it in my "Chickens" folder on my desktop). =)

Your Welcome!

I have it in my notes too.
thumbsup.gif

Plan to always have your chicks on medicated chick starter feed for their first six weeks; hopefully will prevent this problem. Clean out the brooder and dishes really well before the next batch of chicks, and treat if needed. All the best, Mary

Hey yall. So a little bit ago I changed the puppy pads in my 3 day old chicks brooder. I noticed that there was one little spot of poo that had a little bit of blood in it. I checked several times since and no other bloody poo. None of them are acting weird. All are eating and drinking and moving around.

Could it be a one time thing or is there something I should be doing?

Last edited:
Hey yall. So a little bit ago I changed the puppy pads in my 3 day old chicks brooder. I noticed that there was one little spot of poo that had a little bit of blood in it. I checked several times since and no other bloody poo. None of them are acting weird. All are eating and drinking and moving around.

Every so often, they poop a brown cecal poop. You will see that off color poop.

I would watch them and at the first sign start treating them.

Get some 20% powder to have on hand. It lasts a long time and is easy to use.

I actually had the same thing happen to me today. Freaked me out! But all are acting totally normal. Eating and drinking machines!

Back
Top Bottom