"The Coccidiosis in Chicks" thread

TeaChick

Crowing
7 Years
May 5, 2013
Deep South
My Coop
My Coop
I got my first flock last year and I swear they're bulletproof! A fact I took for granted until this year, when I got more chicks and chickens and...
Very ominous music, please:
dum-dum-dum
I've lost half the chicks/chickens I've gotten this year to coccidiosis.

My hope in starting this thread is to have a place where we can come for advice and support in the prevention and treatment of the dreaded Cocci Parasite!!!
Any other parasite prevention and treatment is welcome, but this is primarily for Cocci help/support.

2 just died. I am not too hopeful for others now!
sad.png
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

T
Thank you so much! I have my little ones on meds too but they are all heathy anyway. This was great info. I have one older araucana chick that looks bad. The other 2 are drinking the medicated water. The one that look healthy have to stay put unfortunately as the can't go in with any others. Fingers crossed!

I do hope everything goes well and that you don't lose anymore!!!
fl.gif
and, especially
hugs.gif
!!!
I don't have a whole lot of extra time to spend sitting around pouring medicated water into a sick chicken (I have lots of chickens, homeschooling children, husband works from home, plus I have to take care of myself at least enough to be able to take care of everyone else...), anyway, what I'm saying is that I don't have a lot of time to sit around pouring meds down one sick chicken, but as much as I can, I do go dip their beak in the medicated water often and put the sickest ones right next to the waterer or I move the waterer to the part of the brooder or coop that they seem to be partial to.
Wishing you all the best!!!
hugs.gif

And do please keep us posted!!!
fl.gif

I found bloody poo in with my chicks, so I started them on Corid.
I woke up this morning to find that four of my 16 chicks had died (apparently of coccidiosis, as someone was passing blood).
I went out this morning to go shopping for Corid (among other medications I needed, as one of my older chicks has worms)...
I came home to find another chick dead.
There's one more than I'm not holding my breath for, but I think I started treating in time to save the other ten.

I'll update later on.

I found bloody poo in with my chicks, so I started them on Corid.
I woke up this morning to find that four of my 16 chicks had died (apparently of coccidiosis, as someone was passing blood).
I went out this morning to go shopping for Corid (among other medications I needed, as one of my older chicks has worms)...
I came home to find another chick dead.
There's one more than I'm not holding my breath for, but I think I started treating in time to save the other ten.

I'll update later on.
hugs.gif
I am so sorry!

How old are they? Sometimes e-coli is the cause for young ones.

They're two weeks old yesterday.
What should I do for e-coli?

Treat for cocci first.

Can you find a lab to test the manure? There is a state lab on the UC Davis campus that tests here. I had them test for worms and cocci--cost me $10.50. They found some cocci but no worms.

The test is worth it but like I said, use the corid first.

Last edited:
Tread for cocci first.

Can you find a lab to test the manure? There is a state lab on the UC Davis campus that tests here. I had them test for worms and cocci--cost me $10.50. They found some cocci but no worms.

The test is worth it but like I said, use the corid first.

I'm treating with Corid now (today is day 2).
I don't think I have access to that kind of testing. I'll have to search universities in my area. Thanks. =)

How are the chicks doing this morning?

Thanks for asking!!!
They're MUCH better! The one I was a little concerned about looks a lot better; he even hopped over the end of the feeder to get to a recently vacated space. (Whatever; chickens are funny creatures.) Anyway, they're all a little more chatty, a little less whiny (IDK how, but I can tell the difference between happy chatting and puny feeling whining; does that mean I speak chicken???)
Sorry, I've been kind of chatty too lately.
duc.gif

I do really appreciate your asking about them! =)

Back
Top Bottom