Baby Chicks - Possible Disease

NwChickOwner

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
In December we had a less than year-old bird die. The flock had coccidiosis but not a heavy load, so we treated her for that but she never got better and died (possible Mareks or head trauma - avian vet gave no definitve diagnosis). We are getting baby chicks in June. Since whatever that chicken had would have been in the other birds, coop, etc., we are thinking of putting the babies in the garage instead of the coop until they are older. We are going to clean the coop, waterers, feeders, especially because the sick chicken had been in the coop and garage. Any advice on cleaning methods? They are all going to be Mareks vaccinated in case that was the issue but she wasn't presenting as for sure Mareks so everything is a coin toss. We just want to be sure to do everything we can to make a safe environment for the new babies.

I just started a new flock in my coop brooder and had this same concern as last year I had a 8 week old get Coccidiosis in the same brooder. Even though I'm certain that she got it because I introduced my soil in a pan like I always do, from age 2 weeks, I wanted to feel good about a nice clean slate for this gang. SO I cleaned all baby supplies in the dishwasher and then I replaced my OSB brooder floor with a new sheet of OSB and I cleaned with bleach water and painted the walls with a coat of Kilz paint. Fresh and new and so far so good. I'm going to introduce some soil as I think they want to dust bath now but it's going to be more dry sand than anything else and they're older than last year (5 weeks.)

Sounds contradictory, but for coccidiosis you'd want to deliberately expose them early on to help them build up natural immunity to it. With Mareks it's the opposite, the vaccine needs time to take effect so you'd want to keep them away from it.

Since you don't know what the previous bird passed away from, it's probably safer to keep them away from outdoor exposure for the 2 weeks or so for the vaccine to take effect, and have Corid on hand to treat for coccidiosis if it pops up.

I just started a new flock in my coop brooder and had this same concern as last year I had a 8 week old get Coccidiosis in the same brooder. Even though I'm certain that she got it because I introduced my soil in a pan like I always do, from age 2 weeks, I wanted to feel good about a nice clean slate for this gang. SO I cleaned all baby supplies in the dishwasher and then I replaced my OSB brooder floor with a new sheet of OSB and I cleaned with bleach water and painted the walls with a coat of Kilz paint. Fresh and new and so far so good. I'm going to introduce some soil as I think they want to dust bath now but it's going to be more dry sand than anything else and they're older than last year (5 weeks.)
Thank you for your response. It is nice to know that someone else had similar concerns. I'm sorry you also had to go through it though! I think I will wait on the dust until 5 weeks also.

Sounds contradictory, but for coccidiosis you'd want to deliberately expose them early on to help them build up natural immunity to it. With Mareks it's the opposite, the vaccine needs time to take effect so you'd want to keep them away from it.

Since you don't know what the previous bird passed away from, it's probably safer to keep them away from outdoor exposure for the 2 weeks or so for the vaccine to take effect, and have Corid on hand to treat for coccidiosis if it pops up.
I had not thought about that but you're right, two different approaches. I do have Corid on hand now. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom