"The Cold Coop" page (designing/managing coop for cold winter weather)

SO great to have questions answered in simple people speak! We run a heat lamp out there, and have a heated water bucket... the ducks cant get into the chicken pen itself, we keep a 1 foot tall peice of wood between the pens that the chickens hop over but the ducks cant. I will draw a diagram sometime. ANYWAYS, from what you've said it looks like, as long as we keep the ducks from mucking it up, and have a heat lamp at the ready, they shouldbe ok with what we have.

Great job (as always) Pat.

I've got this on my todo list to add to the site... if I forget, remind me!
big_smile.png

Ya know, I was just thinking about this topic. I was tearing down some old buildings (for the free lumber) and I found that they had used cardboard for insulation. So, I was thinking that I may use cardboard (big strips, from the lumber yard and furniture store) to insulate this next coop I am working on. I have some that are 4 foot wide and 10 foot long now. Is there any draw backs to using cardboard?

Though I have a large coop, I can't figure how to do a "coop within a coop," for warmth. I mean, would this just be a big box like enclosure? Would it be best up higher or on the floor? Against a wall or in the middle of the room?
Havin' fun, and still learning!
Thanks,
Kathy

Quote:
It molds, and has very little R-value. I know you see it used sometimes but not to good effect (except it can be useful for blocking drafts if you are desperate) and it's not something I'd suggest doing yourself.

If you are really hot on using free materials, stuff plastic bags with sawdust, seal them well and put them in the wall space. It isn't as good as, like, fiberglass batts or foamboard, but it is better than nothing and will not mold as much as cardboard.

Though I have a large coop, I can't figure how to do a "coop within a coop," for warmth. I mean, would this just be a big box like enclosure? Would it be best up higher or on the floor? Against a wall or in the middle of the room?

Yup, a box, with some open area for chickens to go through and for ventilation (to the rest of the coop). Anywhere is fine, around the existing roost is ideal, whatever's easiest to construct such that the chickens will be willing to go into it.

I will try to find some time tomorrow to add a section on insulation materials to the cold coop page, and maybe some other stuff -- I appreciate everyone's feedback, it is very helpful
smile.png

Pat​

Thank you for the wonderful information! I have two less than ideal coops (one small and open-fronted, one tractor)... your page will be used to help convince my DH to let the chickens move into part of the garage for the winter. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom