The Columbian Wyandotte Fanclub

Hello! It is nice to see interest growing for a breed of chickens I really love.

Columbian Wyandotte were first exhibited in 1893 at the Columbian Exposition (World’s Fair). The color variety came from breeding a White Wyandotte and a Barred Plymouth Rock.
The Columbian Wyandotte description was added to the Standard in 1905. This makes them a Heritage breed.

I’ve been raising Columbian Wyandotte for 11 years.
I enjoy them not only for their beautiful appearance but for their dual purpose as egg and meat birds. The hens make wonderful mothers and the roosters are good protectors of their flock.
This year I have a few over 100.
Here are a few photos of my birds as they leave the barn to begin a day of free ranging.View attachment 2628773View attachment 2628774View attachment 2628776
Thanks for sharing! It looks like I have a trio of Columbian Wyandottes. They were supposed to be sexed pullets, but I love having a boy! I prayed about a rooster, and it appears that God has given me one! What is the standard for Columbian Wyandottes?

Thanks for sharing! It looks like I have a trio of Columbian Wyandottes. They were supposed to be sexed pullets, but I love having a boy! I prayed about a rooster, and it appears that God has given me one! What is the standard for Columbian Wyandottes?
Also, how do you choose which birds to pair for breeding?

My avatar is my "Pooter," that I got last year as a missexed bird.
He was the absolute BEST bird I've ever had. Sadly, when he started
to crow, we had to rehome him because we can't have roos where we live. But I have 4 girls coming July 2 and can't wait to have them in my flock again. We still miss him very much, and seeing all of these pictures makes me miss him all over again.

NanaKat, I wish I could have a flock like that!!​

@NanaKat

Here are my 3 CWs. They are Hoover's Hatchery stock. How do they look SOP wise for being hatchery birds? Max has too much black, correct?

Lucy:
20210422_122702.jpg

Twix:
20210422_122750.jpg
20210422_122753.jpg

Maxwell:
20210422_122817.jpg
20210422_122829.jpg
20210422_122826.jpg

The American Standard of Perfection is a book produced by the American Poultry Association and which compiles the complete description of all recognized breeds and the color varieties within each breed of domesticated poultry (chickens, turkey, guinea fowl, ducks and geese). Within the book are color illustrations of a male and female of each accepted/recognized color variation in each breed.
The Standard details what makes a “perfect” bird within each breed.
For the Columbian Wyandotte the Standard describes the Rose comb, the head, face and wattles, the body type and weight, the silhouette, how broad the bird should be, the depth of the keel bone, how the wing is held to the body, the slope or rise of the back, the leg color, the shape of the tail and then describes the color pattern of the feathers from the head to the tail.
These descriptions of each breed helps set a goal for breeders and for the production and preservation of each breed’s characteristics. It also outlines a set of criteria for judging the breeds at shows.

Also, how do you choose which birds to pair for breeding?

When I select a bird for breeding by focusing on characteristics.
These two historic drawings will show you what good Columbian Wyandotte should look like...these would be the ideal.
0D42321C-B9EC-49C5-A474-2DA945C18016.jpeg
When you look at the silhouette you can see a round circle to the body type in both the male and female. The male is also heart shaped. The males tail has a higher angle. The wings are held parallel to the ground. Feathers cover the hock.

This color photo is from a poultry calendar. It is good to study where the color and lacing should appear.
03677E7B-0329-4C93-938A-273679086283.jpeg

When pairing birds I look at the best characteristics in each. I consider the weight of the bird and the size of eggs the hen lays. The back of each birds should be broad and the tail feathers should form a wide tent shape. This show pullet has a lovely wide body and a nice tented tail. Her wing set is correct. You can see her slate colored down beneath her white feathers.
AAB08B93-204D-4B5F-A0EF-47E42C485C57.jpeg

F49F1622-C7CF-485F-826E-AB9CE7A3F8FE.jpeg
This cockerel is still growing. The wind was really blowing his tail. He has a nice comb that follows the contour of his nicely shaped head. The comb has a nice texture...small grains. His wattles are equal and smooth. His eye is bright.
As for color there is a lot of dark slate down visible and his primary wing feathers are black with a nice white edge. The lacing on the back side of his legs is heavy.

Pairing this rooster with the show pullet will produce chicks with proper slate down and better contrast between black and white on the body and wings.

This photo has several hens that are molting and some that have finished growing feathers. On the molting hens you can see the slate down that is usually covered by white feathers. The rooster in the center front is in a breed pen now with 6 hens this year.
D04F4517-35AB-49D6-AB53-EADF93431B2A.jpeg

@NanaKat

Here are my 3 CWs. They are Hoover's Hatchery stock. How do they look SOP wise for being hatchery birds? Max has too much black, correct?

Lucy:
View attachment 2630033

Twix:
View attachment 2630035View attachment 2630037

Maxwell:
View attachment 2630038View attachment 2630039View attachment 2630040
The amount of black is normal for a hatchery bird, but my Brahmas are really good with color, & type.

Any patches of black still remaining when he's an adult, he'd be considered Incomplete Columbian. Except the neck, wings, & tail.

20210221_142536.jpg

Back
Top Bottom