1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Comb code, please explain

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok, I've learn tons on this forum. Unfortunately the more I learn the more questions I have.

I read a lot of posts that talk about their comb is too red, or it's to pink or this or that. Please explain to me what this means. My SLW's combs are bight red, the others are just kinda pink. Is this significant? What's the code, what should I be looking for, and what does it mean?

Deniece

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    in young chickens, comb color varies between rooster and pullet.
    Typically, rooster combs are redder than pullet combs.
    Pullet combs start to redden when they get ready to start laying. Up until this, they are usually much paler and smaller than the males.

3. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    My rooster's comb almost turns purplish when I catch him. I don't think he likes it:lol:. My hens comb and face all turn red when I catch them but not toward the purple side.

On a side note. My wife is from Longmont CO. We livef there for a while before moving on. Lots of memories there. We always go back when we go to visit her Dad in Westminster.

Jeremy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by