the conure

xyresicchick

Songster
Mar 5, 2010
Providence, RI
I was at a local pet store and they had a 4 month old baby conure there that when it saw me it chirped like a cricket. so I walked over and looked at it and it climbed up the cage and came as close to me as it could. I poked my finger through the bars (you know, like a little kid would) and it started rubbing its neck on my finger affectionately! I stroked its neck and it's side and it rolled over onto it's back closing it's eyes as if to say "yeah, THAT's the spot, rub my tummy!" it was the cutest thing i ever saw.... ever! I was petting it for probably 20 minutes. but the price?? 430$ YIKES!!! that didn't even include a cage/food/anything!

sooo...
sad.png
no conure for me. wahhh.

I really fell in love with that bird too. Blargh.

Last edited:
One of the best birds you can own would be a Green Cheek Conure.There are several kinds of conures,but the green cheek is the most popular.They make great pets.It is best to try and find a breeder and buy one that has been hand fed.The average price for a green cheek(They come in different colors also) would be $150.00 Do not buy one from a pet store because they will be of poor quality and WAY OVER priced,like $ 400-$475 range.I bought mine for $150.00 from a breeder,had to feed him formula for a couple weeks.I have had him 10 years now with no problems. Hope this has been of some help.

Quote:
Totally agree with Kennyog. Green cheeks are excellent conures, and considered the quiet conure. I've had mine now for 9 yrs her name is Buzzard, she's very cute, friendly & personable. Do you research and if you like what you read and really are considering a conure, go through a GOOD breeder where the price is cheaper and the birds are better quality. I bought mine for $150 and she's worth her weight in gold. Oh also wanted to add mine talks, she doesn't have a large vocab, but you can hear her chatting in her cute little voice.

Last edited:
You and me both!! Today went to the petstore and this little one has been there six months! Super cute and has the sweet and sassy personality. Kept moving from one side to the other when we walked to the other side. My hubby and I are thinking about it but 300 for the bird plus everything else is hard to get past. The girl who worked there said she spends as much time with it as possible and it adores her preening her and everything when she got it out. I would love to go to a breeder but this one was hand raised and just has the cutest attitude. Maybe it will work out. I'm hoping that my little one goes on sale before they transfer him to another store.

you can find cheaper conures from a breeder... look online, google, classifieds, newspaper... Im sure they will pop up. i got a Sun Conure for $150. What ever the price at a petstore, you normally can find from a breeder half off or 1/4th the price.

Best of Luck

I got my sun from a breeder, and it was $300 better then the $700 at stores, plus mine was hand raised, and very well socialized, From now on I'll only buy from a good breeder.

Quote:
Look in your heart, youll know if its a good breeder or not. Ask lots of questions, and I mean lots. If the breeder feels iritated or rushes you... walk away. At the same time, dont ask the same question over and over again. You can ask questions like, how old is the baby, do you have a birthday for the baby, Are the parents on the property, how old are the parents. ect ect.

You will automatically tell who is passionate about the animal and who is only in it for the money.

Best of luck.

as much as they pull the heart strings i would honestly never suggest buying from a petstore unless its a specialty bird store that knows what there doing and their ENTIRE time is dedicated to the birds.

if you found this bird intreuging, wondefrfull, conures make great pets, but petstore birds often come with deep set psycolocical issues that you typically dont see for a few weeks after you get them home. many store employees do what they can to keep socilizing these birds, but they simply dont have the time to dedicate to these babies and while it may not look like it, it leads to issues.
besides that...i also could never suggest ANYONE support the RIDICULOUS prices these stores sell their birds for! $400+ for a conure, not even the rarer of the conures cost that much from a breeder...
you know that the store, depending on the breed and their supplier probably payed between $50-$150 for that little bird.

i used to work for 3 different petstores and youd be APPALED at what goes on behind the scenes.

if your serious, support a small scale breeder who knows their stuff, and who WILL be there for you throughotu the life of the bird
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom