The coop is done!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by michelle89, Jun 17, 2011.

1. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm so happy with the coop my hubby built! Its exactly what I wanted. Theres still a few things I need to do, I need a handle on the hen house door, the trim along the outside needs to be finished, other than that its pretty much done! My girls are enjoying being outside, they were getting stir crazy in the brooder! I'd really like them to be free range during the day but I'm a little leary, my ducks are out during the day and I've had no problems but I've heard that chickens tend to roam alot more than ducks. What do you think? And will they come back for bed?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. homesteadmomma

homesteadmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Parke Co. Indiana
    [​IMG] Congrats Looks great!

3. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    Yes. they will come back. Chicks put themselves to bed. Just make sure to lock up right away. Different predators hunt at different times though out the night.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Interesting roof. What is it made of?

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure the girls are happy to be out of the brodder and into their nice new coop. Great job!!

I only free range on the days that I am home, even if only for a few hours before dusk.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Keep the hens in the new coop for about a week. That will let them know that is home. Then let them start to free range. They will return but it maybe late. Mine are late bedders and do not go in the coop until about 9 pm. If you start giveing them a bit of scratch every evening and calling to them they will come in when you call them. They love scratch and breads. Use the same call every day while they are in the coop , then they will come better when they are out. Gloria Jean

7. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice! Looks like you have some happy chickens.

8. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Looks great! [​IMG]

9. spike844

spike844 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Virginia beach, VA
    Amazing! It looks awesome. I like the roof and how its tilted and how you made the hen house with the blanks instead of just using a sheet of plywood. I wish we had more room where we could build something like that.

-Noah

10. michelle89

michelle89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Quote:Its made of those suntuf panels, or something like that. I cant remember the name but Home Depot sales them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by