~The Crazy Chicken Club~

Pics
Ok so I have taken time today to very roughly draw out a draft of my ( I mean... Our family's... ) chicken coop design. Now mind you it is not set in stone yet but I'm hoping that our coop with look somewhat like this one here.

So this one just shows a very simple drawing of the coop and the height and length:

And then this one shows it in top veiw with more detail:

This one is really sloppy so just hang in there, it is top and side veiw with detail:

Okay so you get the jist of my coop plan, but I haven't thought of all the little details such as cost, where to put it and ect. While drawing this. It should end up at least six feet tall and long and five feet in width. Any other suggestions on compact coops please tell me and, I already looked in the coop forum, FYI.
1f414.png
1f413.png
2764.png
1f49b.png
1f49a.png
1f499.png
1f49c.png
2764.png
1f49b.png
1f49a.png
1f499.png
1f49c.png
Pics aren't showing up

Okay, soooo...... I checked on my county/townships website and it didn't say anything about not keeping chickens so I was like: "oh ok cool I can have chickens", but then I saw on the next suggested website was kinda worried me..

Hopkins chickens 1.jpg
Dorr Township officials may soon consider whether to allow backyard chickens, like these that belong to Hopkins Village residents Bob and Sue Hazen.
Supplied

Dorr Township may reconsider its ban on backyard poultry following a discussion that took place at the April 28 township board meeting.

Resident Kevin Mauer brought up the subject during the public comment session. He said he found it interesting that nearby developed communities including Grand Rapids and Holland now allow chickens with certain restrictions, but Dorr Township does not.

"Here we are in agricultural Dorr, Michigan, and we don't allow that," Mauer said. "I think it's a sad statement ... it needs to be addressed."

Currently, the Dorr Township ordinance prohibits the keeping of "such animals as horses, cattle, pigs, goats and poultry" on property zoned residential. Up to three traditional pets, such as cats or dogs, are allowed per household.

Mauer said he lives on a farm so he is not affected by the ban, but would like to see it changed as a benefit for other residents.

According to Dorr Township Supervisor Jeff Miling, the ban predates the current board.

"That wasn't our doing," he said. "I don't know when the ordinance on chickens was put in place."

He said he personally has "no problem" with letting residents keep chickens, as long as their neighbors don't object. He said he frequently fields complaints about noisy or stray dogs, and would not want to add another source of problems.

"A lot needs to be considered," he said. "Residents complain about everything."

Clerk Brian Boot responded to Mauer's comments by asking if he was willing to help study the issue and work on possible changes. Mauer agreed.

Another small community nearby, the Village of Hopkins, recently granted an ordinance variance to allow Bob and Sue Hazen to keep a small flock of hens, which are currently prohibited by ordinance. The couple had to pay a $250 fee for the variance.

Hopkins Village President Mary Howard said the village might consider lifting its ban if more people express a desire for backyard chickens

Do you guys think that Jeff milling was saying yes? Or was he just saying he liked the idea of it? I was so excited about getting chickens that I forgot to check about our law and see and now this has gotten me all worried that I have gotten excited over chickens for nothing...
1f629.png
I was thinking about wrighting a letter saying how we should be at least allowed to own a couple hens, and how my neighbor's don't mind them and how I would keep them on the down low and would keep them clean and tidy. Do you guys think I should do that? IDK... Maybe we won't be getting chickens next year after all....

Back
Top Bottom