The crowing, the incessant crowing! I'm losing my mind!

That ghosty quail is 2bands... You'd better run...she's coming and she isn't happy

tongue2.gif

From an anatomical stand point a slight correction.

The things you described as 2 eggs are not eggs at all. They are male coturnix sex organs. They look a lot like eggs but they are really male sex organs.
Coturnix hens, like most Galliformes only use the left ovary to produce eggs unless it shuts down for some reason. If that happens then the right can kick in and a strange hormonal shift can happen and the hens will start acting, sounding, and even looking like roos, but that is rare.

I can get confused with the vent sexing thing, but if you split a coturnix down the back its pretty easy to sex.

So the males crow and the females...? Sorry I have 6 quail and have no clue how to sex quail except if they lay eggs they just might be girls
big_smile.png
The oldest is 7 weeks and started making funny noises the other day like a strangling whiporwill or something. Is that it crowing? It's weird, but not near as annoying as my guineas were!! The young ones are quiet, they are 4 weeks old. Sorry if this is a little off topic...kinda. Just was wondering if it is crowing or what.

Quote:
I didn't split them down the back, I did them pretty much the way I would do a chicken.
also, the two males, the ones who crowed, had testes inside. The one who had what looked like the undeveloped eggs you find inside a pullet did not. I did not say there were two, there were hundreds of tiny dots in a stringy-spongey matrix.
I am absolutely certain 2bands was a hen.

Quote:
There is a link in the sticky topic on the top of the forum to a coturnix roo crowing. That's how I knew what I was hearing when it first started to happen.
The sticky also has info on vent sexing quail, it should help you out.
Good luck with your quail!
-Zay

Ok. I am scared. I am getting quail. I thought they crowed in the morning like roosters do. NO!!!All NIGHT TOO!!!!!! My neighbors are going to hand me by my toes.........Do they really do this????????????????

Quote:
No, don't feel bad!
Coturnix do crow (don't know about other breeds), but only when they are in season and they only do it incessantly when they don't have enough lady friends.
...or so I have heard.
-Z

Quote:
I didn't split them down the back, I did them pretty much the way I would do a chicken.
also, the two males, the ones who crowed, had testes inside. The one who had what looked like the undeveloped eggs you find inside a pullet did not. I did not say there were two, there were hundreds of tiny dots in a stringy-spongey matrix.
I am absolutely certain 2bands was a hen.

My bad!
smile.png

It's just the first time I cleaned a coturnix roo, I thought I got the sex wrong when I saw what I thought were eggs.
I misunderstood what you were saying.

Back
Top Bottom