The crowing, the incessant crowing! I'm losing my mind!

zaylinda

Songster
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Tacoma WA
I bought 5 quail.
A week later I began to hear crowing, "what a cute sound" I thought.
I sexed the quail. 3 males, 1 probably male, and one hen. The occasional crowing began to be a little less cute.
Last night the quail decided that crowing once every 5 minutes was too occasional, and ramped it up.
In the middle of the night, as I lay still unsleeping, I said "let's eat the quail" the scruffy fiance made 'i'm sleeping' noises.
Early this afternoon, still no respite from the crowing, the scruffy fiance and I gathered tools of destruction and stood out by the quail.
Two quails crowed, they were snatched out and placed in a box.
I then stared at my 3 remaining quail, who seemed to have picked up the "crow and die" vibe, and were very very quiet.
I tired of waiting, and on a whim chose 2bands instead of longbeak, because even though 2bands was only probably male, he was the quail who always spooked.
I had never killed an animal before. It was not hard.
The scruffy fiance helped me pluck, and I gutted. (p.s. Monarch's butcher-a-quail thread is a wonderful help)
Wouldn't you know, 2bands had eggs inside. They were not developing, but I knew what it was from butchering chickens.
Finished butchering cursing myself for being such a quail-sexing-noob.
A few minutes after everything is all cleaned up - I hear a quail crow
Longbeak must have crowed a dozen times as I typed this.
I'm loosing my mind.

There is only one thing to do. Put them ouutside!
big_smile.png

Yes, I remember those times when the quail would not stop! All night long and they were right outside my window. I was trying to keep them quiet since I live in a neigborhood, but no, they just got louder.

Most of them ended up in the freezer! The only way to get them to calm down is to give them more females and they will not be quite so bad. It will keep them busy and you only hear an occasional noise.

EAT THEM!!! muhahahaha!! I would. And then get more.. and be a little more patient about eating the boys. Pick them out asap and eat them! EAT DEM!

Oh and sanity is overrated.. you will find once your mind flees to a peaceful, crow-free existence, you will be much happier!

5 quail that makes a meal!
gig.gif

seriously you might have to separate all the males out so they can't see or hear each other, they're just egging each other on! Like teenagers.
hide.gif

L&Schickens: They ARE outside!
hit.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to eat the last male I have if that wouldn't leave my only hen all alone.

Now I'm doing what I should have done in the first place: waiting for my incubator to come in the mail and then ordering eggs of browns so I can see RIGHT AWAY if it's a hen or a roo!

Last edited:
Quote:
EH NOT SO MUCH RIGHT AWAY..... BUT DEFINATELY BY THE TIME IT'S OLD ENOUGH TO CROW!

HEY, DID YOU HEAR THAT? SOUNDED LIKE A FUNNY NOISE COMING FROM THE FRIDGE!
big_smile.png

Quote:
EH NOT SO MUCH RIGHT AWAY..... BUT DEFINATELY BY THE TIME IT'S OLD ENOUGH TO CROW!

HEY, DID YOU HEAR THAT? SOUNDED LIKE A FUNNY NOISE COMING FROM THE FRIDGE!
big_smile.png

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
th.gif

My homicidal rage was useless to stop them! Their ghosts haunt me still!

Back
Top Bottom