the curious case of a chick with two dads ( a head scratcher for sure)

To my gyspyfaced one? Give me a moment, it's from like a year ago
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/blue-earlobes.1427011/#post-23493372

Hoewever I'm not sure if the rest of her was dark colored. I lost her to a rooster when she was brooding this spring. But her adopted daughter has a dark face too... I wonder if my male is throwing it. I'll have to check
Oh, I meant the thread with the bird that shows traits from two roosters. Sorry, I should’ve specified.

There is a dominant gene for light skin, and I've read that it blocks the fibro from expressing. So I think a chicken could have the fibro gene, and the dominant gene for light skin, and not look like they have fibro at all, but still be able to pass it to their chicks (who would only show it if they get the recessive gene that allows dark skin to show.)

Considering the comb and the crest, I think the Polish rooster must be the father, and Shaggy (the mother) probably is the source of the fibro.

The gene for light/dark skin is sex-linked, so a pullet gets it from her father but not her mother-- and Polish are supposed to have slate legs, which would mean they have the recessive gene allowing dark skin.

A possible test: if Shaggy (the mother) is crossed to another rooster with dark legs (blue/slate or green/willow), that cross might produce more daughters with dark skin. Sons would probably have light skin, because Shaggy herself has light skin.
this is amazing information. I had not heard of fibro being sex linked when crossing a fibro rooster on a pink skinned hen. I have had 90 percent dark skinned chicks from the Cemani rooster and all have been black or blue colored except one red with black skin who was Shaggy's baby. the Cemani NN chicks that I grew out are all black skinned females but seems like there were a few light skinned females too but like I said I rehomed them without knowing the sex link so i may be wrong on that. Beetle juice had another crop of chicks but none were naked necks. I rehomed them pretty young but none had the dark skin. shaggy produced a pink skinned polish NN when bred to a buff laced rooster. I have a young Cemani cockerel and solid blue polish cockerel that she can be paired with in a few months to test this theory and I certainly will do that. phoebe was born last year so I have had a chance to grow out some of the Cemani naked neck chicks that Handsome left for u. those dark skinned blue or black hens were bred to a bearded buff polish rooster. Most but not all of those had dark skin but it is definitely not linked to sex on the second generation. is this because the fibro is heterozygous in this generation. except for the beard they have very similar crest to Phoebe and some have singles. I think your explanation of Phoebes Phenotype makes sense. I have learned something too. what a strange coincidence that the exact mix came together to create the project objective of a fibro crested naked neck in one generation. those are some crazy odds.

I will have to disagree here. Isn’t the fibro gene dominant? Shaggy would have a lot more indications that she carried it (and some hints to where she got it from!) if she did carry it. And for it to pop up when crossed with a white-skinned bird who’s got no fibro in his heritage…it’s about as likely as some crazy genetic mishap what wound up making a chick with two fathers.
Agreed, I do think the fibro gene is dominant so she could have 2 dads, who knows?

Back
Top Bottom