The Death of Mr. Fox (not quite!)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sovia, Sep 28, 2011.

1. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    We've had problems with a fox over the past six months and have lost 9 of our hens. Long story and I'm sure you've read it before. Anyhow, my husband "tried" to shoot it once, but missed by a lot. I found out later that he hadn't really intended to shoot it. Grrr! Anyhow, he tried live-trapping, etc., and kept getting 'outfoxed' by Mr. Fox. It's been very frustrating.

The past two weeks, he's been playing around with the camera because he was filming videos for my BIL's birthday. Because of this, the camera became "invisible" and nobody paid any attention to it. He totally set me up for this. My husband even found a neighbor to call and tell me that he had borrowed the gun because the fox had been spotted again. I am talking to the neighbor on the video.

I can laugh about it now. My husband - the comedian![​IMG]

2. Animalrescue

Animalrescue New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    well i hope there no prob with him anymore. All i really have to say is well, a chickens got to run, but fox gotta eat.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. KickinRocks

KickinRocks New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    Thought the video was hysterical. I would put a scope on the .22 and take over trigger duties.

However on a more serious note, I would point out at 51 seconds there was a major gun safety issue where the rifle is pointed directly at the cameraman. Muzzle control.

Not trying to be a jerk, but gun safety issues should be pointed out when they come up.

4. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Quote:x2 Never point a gun loaded or not, at anything or anyone other than the target. Accidents happen everyday...

5. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Thanks, KickinRocks. Absolutely no offense taken and I agree. :)The gun was unloaded, but it makes no difference especially because he had my young daughter helping him. I will DEFINITELY be pointing this out to him.

6. KickinRocks

KickinRocks New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    Muzzle control is a major cornerstone to a lifetime of gun safety.

Most accidental shootings are self inflicted. #2 most common accidental shooters are a friend or family member.

Ingrain muzzle control from an early age. Correct it whenever it is observed.

Muzzle AWARENESS needs to become a habit and a way of life.

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Quote:The first rule I learned and have always taken to heart-- treat every firearm as if it is loaded and could go off at any moment! If it's never pointed in an unsafe direction, the chance of an accident are nearly nonexistent. Many firearm accidents are from guns that folks think are unloaded. I'm glad you are taking it seriously. [​IMG]

8. marty8587

marty8587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    The video was great!!! Ican't wait for the racoon video!!

9. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    That was hilarious![​IMG] But I agree about the gun safety control.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Funny video. Has the fox returned? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by