The Deed is Done--Chicks Outside at Night for first time :(

We all made it through the night. It didn't rain in the night and now the heavy rain is slated for later in the day, so that gives the chicks time to figure out the great outdoors a little more. As soon as I let them out, they ate a little, but then went right back to the pile of leaves under the raspberry vines.

Thanks for the support!

I have a broody pen that is about 8 x 8 feet. I ended up giving my broody all 34 chicks and a heat light when they were 2 weeks old!
smile.png
I had given her 8 chicks at 1 day old, then I moved the small brooder out there when the chicks were about 2 weeks old. She had a fit and I had to let her have the rest of them. Its been about a week now and all are doing fine. I still have a heat light out there and there is a larger nest box where some of the chicks sleep with mama at night. (about 1/2 of them)
D.gif

I don't worry about them at all now. I know mama is taking good care of them.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
. It is so hard putting them outside. When I move them outside to the shed I don't worry as much. But when they go to the grow out pen and the coop I worry horribly. I still worry about my 9 month old chickens. They have been in their coop scince Sept. Hang in their.

I understand your pain.... I wanted to sleep in the shed with my babies the first night , the DH talked me out of it . I worried over them being out all night . They had a big heat lamp, plenty of wood shavings etc.. even two adult silkies in with them but still.... I wanted them to be house chickens
smile.png
.... 7 silkie house chickens .

Back
Top Bottom