The deep-litter method...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by my4ladies, Jul 6, 2010.

1. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    please talk to a newbie about this. I've read about the deep-bed method...and when I first did I thought it was incredibly gross and unsanitary. However, I then came across the method again, and this time it was explained with a little more science behind it. The article went on to say that as the feces decomposes it creates certain vitamins and also microorganims that the chickens eat. By the end of the article I was sold. So, I'd like a little feedback from every day people who use or have used this method. Pros/cons, etc.

Many thanks!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I practice the DLM. Only clean out the coop twice a year. Just scrape off the poo from the poop tray underneath the roost (where most of the stuff falls anyway) every couple of days, toss more pine shavings in every once in a while, let the chickens stir it up - which they WILL do - and we're good to go. The pine shavings dry out the feces. The chickens scratch in it and keep it stirred up, for the most part.

Dunno what else to say about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by