The Deformed Chicken thread

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by onthespot, Sep 14, 2011.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I just thought I would start a thread where people could post pics and share stories of their "unusually formed' birds. This is an orpington cockerel that has no butt. His back seems to just stop short and drop off. He has ponty pelvic bones in the back, and an anus and he can poop okay, but he is odd looking. To compensate for no butt, he has to carry his head back over his body so he does not tip to the font, which makes him even odder looking. Do you have any deformed chickens hiding out? I'm not talking side sprigs on combs. I wanna see the ones that "just ain't right" if you know what I mean. [​IMG] Hopefully this thread can become a reference for birth defects and eventual outcomes. Cross beaks, extra legs, skull anomalies, bring it on!

[​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Severely bent backbone. When culled, this hen had one leg that was literally higher than the other, and the backbone was curved with that fact.

[​IMG]

Same here, an Easter Egger with the issue. You can clearly see the lump. She even waddled around kind of like a fat duck.

[​IMG]

The issue does not cause death or a serious hindering to their ability to get around, eat, and grow - But I certainly hated seeing it in person when I culled the birds. I'm glad I culled them. [​IMG] I had a total of about 5 with this issue, all from a hatchery, all from the same hatchery. 3 different breeds.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Quote:Thanks Desert Rooster. I didn't know about that thread. I posted my photo there too, but the title "special needs bird contest" is very broad covering any handicap of any kind, and sounds like it would be over soon because it is a contest. No one wants to enter a contest that is already judged. Then I went to the thread, and people are still posting to it, so I added my roo! [​IMG]

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Illia, check OUT the penciling on your hen in the second photo! What a beauty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by