The Designer Egg Chain Swap Chat Thread

draye

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 30, 2010
Arkansas
I am starting this chat thread for those who what to chat about the Swap thread for the designer eggs chain.

Any and all chat is welcome.
Please keep it clean.

Thanks you.

Ill be the first to say Hello! Last year I did a ton of swaps and I was the lucky winner of the greenfire farm chicks in 2013. Last year was a terrible poultry year for me due to a fox and the crazy winter. But I have 4 birchen maran hens and one spitzhauben buff/chamois roo. So am looking to do a side swap. I have 9 birchen maran with spitz roo eggs. I should be getting atleast 5 or more eggs within 3 days. Please PM me if anyone would like to do a side swap. The only poultry I do not like are easter eggers. Thanks

Ill be the first to say Hello! Last year I did a ton of swaps and I was the lucky winner of the greenfire farm chicks in 2013. Last year was a terrible poultry year for me due to a fox and the crazy winter. But I have 4 birchen maran hens and one spitzhauben buff/chamois roo. So am looking to do a side swap. I have 9 birchen maran with spitz roo eggs. I should be getting atleast 5 or more eggs within 3 days. Please PM me if anyone would like to do a side swap. The only poultry I do not like are
Quote:
Well now those are some of my very favorites. Moving on though, I also (besides EE's) have Naked Necks, Blue and Black Jersey Giants and what I'm calling Light Brahmas, but I have a notion that someone do some crossbreeding on them. Their bodies look more like a Plymouth Rock, and have light feathering on legs and toes. Those and the Jersey Giants are going to be moving on come last Saturday in April. Getting down to what I really like.

I also have my own creation of Crested Easter Eggers. They are a cross of my Easter Eggers and some Polish. Have the flock up to 6 hens now and a new rooster with them.

Subscribed.

I love the idea of this thread. :)

I haven't got much to trade right now, because I also had a rough go of things this winter with dogs, coyotes and coon. I thought maybe I would share what I am working on.

My EE and a black austerlorp under a 100% Lavender Ameraucana roo, which will yeild all black chicks, but split to lavender. Their offspring can produce lavender if mated with a lavender or another split.

I have a blue frizzle cochin in with a black smooth serama roo, just to see what happens. I mostly avoid bantams and cochins, but couldnt pass up that blue frizzle. My hope here is to line breed naked footed frizzles. (Cochins get all icky when free ranging here in the muddy WA winter and spring months.)

Right now the hens seem to be taking a break, :/ but the quail are laying themselves silly. :p

I love EE, and like all egg colors. I do not like red or brown coloring in my chickens. I avoid red whenever possible, with the one exception being my really old broody hen.

Projects: I have some pullets I am raising up with the right genetics to make EE sexlinks - easily sexed at hatching by color. I am also raising quail; brown coturnix, white TX A&M, and hopefully another variety that I will announce later if all goes well. Next year's projects include pink laying hens and jumbo tuxedo quail...

Subscribed.

I love the idea of this thread.
smile.png

I haven't got much to trade right now, because I also had a rough go of things this winter with dogs, coyotes and coon. I thought maybe I would share what I am working on.

My EE and a black austerlorp under a 100% Lavender Ameraucana roo, which will yeild all black chicks, but split to lavender. Their offspring can produce lavender if mated with a lavender or another split.

I have a blue frizzle cochin in with a black smooth serama roo, just to see what happens. I mostly avoid bantams and cochins, but couldnt pass up that blue frizzle. My hope here is to line breed naked footed frizzles. (Cochins get all icky when free ranging here in the muddy WA winter and spring months.)

Right now the hens seem to be taking a break,
hmm.png
but the quail are laying themselves silly.
tongue.png

I love EE, and like all egg colors. I do not like red or brown coloring in my chickens. I avoid red whenever possible, with the one exception being my really old broody hen.

Projects: I have some pullets I am raising up with the right genetics to make EE sexlinks - easily sexed at hatching by color. I am also raising quail; brown coturnix, white TX A&M, and hopefully another variety that I will announce later if all goes well. Next year's projects include pink laying hens and jumbo tuxedo quail...
Welcome. What color EE's do you have. I wastold that a Lvender over EE would dilute reds to a straw color, and then all the other colors that they come in would be exciting to see what Lavender over EE would yield. My goal right now is to find a Araucana (you know the rumpless ones with tufts) to brred into my EE, not really trying for the rumplessness), just a genetic divesity. I also would like to find a Polish hen or two (I've used roosters) to add to my Crested EE project.

I know a lady who had some aracauna. Cute things. I'll see she still has them and if so, if the eggs are for sale or swap.

Mostly black EE, except my favorite old hen. I don't know what my old EE will make for sure, but the genetics calculator says black. I would imagine red leakage on wings of roos, and maybe some red leaking in general. We'll see. My broody was under a silver wyandotte last 2 years and her chicks had ginormous combs, coarse lacing and no red/buff whatsoever, with the barest hint of muffs. They were cute but I did not keep them.

From my understanding, blue is a diluting gene, lavender is not. Blue would dilute colors, lavender is recessive and does not pop up unless both parents have it.

I would love to see some pics of crested EE. :)

Welcome.  What color EE's do you have.  I wastold that a Lvender over EE would dilute reds to a straw color, and then all the other colors that they come in would be exciting to see what Lavender over EE would yield. My goal right now is to find a Araucana (you know the rumpless ones with tufts) to brred into my EE, not really trying for the rumplessness), just a genetic divesity.  I also would like to find a Polish hen or two (I've used roosters) to add to my Crested EE project. 

I know a lady who had some aracauna. Cute things. I'll see she still has them and if so, if the eggs are for sale or swap.

Mostly black EE, except my favorite old hen. I don't know what my old EE will make for sure, but the genetics calculator says black. I would imagine red leakage on wings of roos, and maybe some red leaking in general. We'll see. My broody was under a silver wyandotte last 2 years and her chicks had ginormous combs, coarse lacing and no red/buff whatsoever, with the barest hint of muffs. They were cute but I did not keep them.

From my understanding, blue is a diluting gene, lavender is not. Blue would dilute colors, lavender is recessive and does not pop up unless both parents have it.

I would love to see some pics of crested EE.
smile.png
I don't know gentics very well, I was just repeating what I was told.
But anyway, I just want to have some fun with mine.

I don't know gentics very well, I was just repeating what I was told.
But anyway, I just want to have some fun with mine.

I wasn't trying to be snarky! Sorry if it came out that way. I had to learn the hard way about lavender and blue. I bought BBS Ameraucana eggs and only after they were in the incubator did I learn that the BBS blacks would not be suitable for my Lav Am project. (Because blue is a diluting gene it can be present but be missed, so there would be a chance of blue showing up in a lavender later on which is not good.) I was crushed! So now I either need to start all over or retire my lavender ambitions and focus on BBS Ams. And I can use the Lav roo for my sexlink EE project so that may well be what happens. That leaves me line breeding those sexlinked hens back to the roo for lavender EE next year.

I think "fun" is what our projects are all about! :)

I wasn't trying to be snarky! Sorry if it came out that way. I had to learn the hard way about lavender and blue. I bought BBS Ameraucana eggs and only after they were in the incubator did I learn that the BBS blacks would not be suitable for my Lav Am project. (Because blue is a diluting gene it can be present but be missed, so there would be a chance of blue showing up in a lavender later on which is not good.) I was crushed! So now I either need to start all over or retire my lavender ambitions and focus on BBS Ams. And I can use the Lav roo for my sexlink EE project so that may well be what happens. That leaves me line breeding those sexlinked hens back to the roo for lavender EE next year.

I think "fun" is what our projects are all about!
smile.png

I didn't take it that way at all. I just figured you knew what you were talking about, because I know I don't, I just try to pass information along that I hear. Sometimes I even get that wrong.
I enjoy the chatting so no need for apologies.

Last edited:
Set 61 more eggs on the 11th. Last Friday. Enjoyed the local swap in Central Arkansas yesterday. Managed to get away without buying anything. Sold a pair of Black Jersey Giants.

Back
Top Bottom