The Diet Doth Confuseth Me! (Renal Diet Thread)

Cauliflower mash is a good sub for taters- just cook till soft & mash, season & top with some fresh herbs & a splash of EVOO if you must. Can you have asparagus? If so make soup - a little onion & garlic sweat a bit season how you like (I like S & P, dried mustard, red pepper flakes or cayenne) add asparagus cut in small/tiny pieces sweat a minute or two cover with H2O maybe an inch over veg & simmer covered ~20 mins. Cool slightly & put in blender to smooth or if you have an immersion blender use that. I finish with a squeeze of lemon & fresh chives. Sometimes I add some raw rice with the asparagus just a scoop will add body once blended. I've also added boiled egg both before blending or chopped as a topping when serving - think sort of like hollandaise.

Thanks, Mary! That’s it!!! You’re brilliant!!! I’ll simplify this whole thing and talk my vet into giving me the canine renal diet!! You’re brilliant! :love

Blueberries with pie spices do sound good! I’ll look up the spices to check but I do know that cinnamon is fine!!

I‘ll see the nephrologist again on March 5. He’s running another lab and possibly an ultrasound, and then giving me a referral for a dietitian, with his additional recommendations based on what he finds at the appointment. Once he sees if the month off my arthritis meds and Protonix has nudged my GFR up a bit, or at least stabilized it where it sits now, he’ll be better able to determine what he wants to see as far as dietary restrictions might go.

Yep, this is all a bit like shooting in the dark, but there’s a light out there somewhere and I’m just gonna keep heading right for it!

Cauliflower mash is a good sub for taters- just cook till soft & mash, season & top with some fresh herbs & a splash of EVOO if you must. Can you have asparagus? If so make soup - a little onion & garlic sweat a bit season how you like (I like S & P, dried mustard, red pepper flakes or cayenne) add asparagus cut in small/tiny pieces sweat a minute or two cover with H2O maybe an inch over veg & simmer covered ~20 mins. Cool slightly & put in blender to smooth or if you have an immersion blender use that. I finish with a squeeze of lemon & fresh chives. Sometimes I add some raw rice with the asparagus just a scoop will add body once blended. I've also added boiled egg both before blending or chopped as a topping when serving - think sort of like hollandaise.

I LOOKED IT UP! I can have asparagus - in small portions! I knew cauliflower was okay from seeing it on my sister’s diet. We may be getting some ideas here!! I don’t know if I’ll like asparagus soup, but I’ll darn sure like it better than resorting to nothing but Pine Floats with a Blueberry garnish!!!! No salt, though, but there are other seasonings around. :wee

Cauliflower is amazing you can mash it, rice it, roast it & toss with any sauce/condiment that is acceptable like mock chicken wings. Also soup with carrots, celery, onions, rice & tomatoes (surely you can omit the maters). Really you can make most any vegetable into a pureed soup like the asparagus. Carrots & fresh ginger is delicious & arthritis approved. I add freshly grated turmeric to a lot of foods for my arthritis. If you can eat beets grate them & make a rosti (like a tater pancake) I've also made a scalloped potatoe dish, but used golden beets & turnips. Sometimes just sub a veg for a recipe you normally eat. Sure it won't be exact, but should satisfy you & you'll learn how to tweak ad you go. Also, toast oatmeal before you cook it into "yucky mush" (yea I'm with you on it bleech) and it is better when its been toasted first. Also oatmeal can be made savory instead of sweet. PS - you can leave the soup chunky, but smooth asparagus is nice to put in a cup & drink when it's cold & no spoon to wash :lau

I make everything I eat. You may want to peel your peppers first with a veggie peeler you won't get it all off because of the shspe, but Jacques Pepin says your body will digest it better for those who have difficulties with peppers. Also cooked vs: raw veg adds to your options. Asians add Cukes to stir fry & they're tasty. Cooked radishes are delicious too. Can you eat green beans? Peanut butter?

Fresh beets aren’t on the phosphorous list, which stinks because I love them! Beet greens - most leafy greens, in fact - are no-no’s, and if they’re cooked the no-no becomes NO-NO!!!

Ken did get the phosphorous guides printed out, but after I spent 10 minutes trying to find where he put the other guides he came in and said, “I didn’t print those because the nephrologist was pushing the phosphorous harder.” So we’ll have to get those, and then cross-reference when we want to know something. Right now the pho’s list has an asterisk next to the foods that are too high in potassium but that’s the only reference....they‘re only marked if they’re above 250mg per serving. Just because something is low phos doesn’t mean I can have it if the sodium, potassium, or protein is too high!!! I either need that dietitian - now - or another CKD patient to drop in!!

Whoa, Nellie....I can’t keep up! :lau Peanut butter is a no. Potassium. Unseasoned green beans are a yes. Cukes a yes. Green bell peppers are a “limit”, red bell peppers are a yes (and don’t ask me for the logic there). Cooking vs raw in most green stuff brings up a whole new set of issues. While the phos and/or potassium may be okay raw, cooking intensifies them, which can change whether I can even have them.

Again, until I meet with that dietitian and he/ she has time to come up with a diet specific to me, all I can do here is gather as much input as possible. Tonight has already been really helpful, and my Chefs and cooks already standing by will really make my dinners the envy of every kidney patient in the country! Add to that the dog renal diet, your asparagus soup and other suggestions, and an endless supply of blueberries....now with pie spices....and I’m beginning to feel some hope that I can do this! :wee

Back
Top Bottom