The Diet Doth Confuseth Me! (Renal Diet Thread)

Pics

Blooie

Team Spina Bifida
9 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Northwestern Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
So here's the backstory. On January 31 I finally got name to put to the way I've been feeling. The enemy has a name, and it's name is Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease. Okay, an enemy with an identity is one I can fight. I haven't yet had a meeting with a dietitian. My next nephrology appointment is March 5th and he'll be setting me up with one then. I hope. In the meantime, I am supposed to watch my diet and stop taking some of the prescriptions I've been on. I want that GFR going up and the Creatinine going down! The problem is I don't know what to do to make it happen! And I'm hungry!!!

So I decided to start this thread. Out of the million members out there, I know there must be some who are in various stages of kidney disease or even, like my beloved sister Linda was, in full blown kidney failure. There has to be someone who is taking care of a person with CKD. Let's help each other. I mean, who out there knows how to make noodles with Bulgar wheat flour....or even more important, who can explain what the heck Bulgar wheat flour even IS? See what I mean?

I've been struggling along with information I've found on-line. When we'd go back to South Dakota on vacation, we stayed with my sister and I would take her to her dialysis. And when she was up to it I would take her grocery shopping. So I had some idea of what I could and couldn't eat, but the diet for full kidney failure and the diet for kidney disease have some differences. And to further complicate things, I'm a cardiac patient. That diet and the renal diet often conflict, except in matters of salt and the other obvious taboos. On dialysis diets folks have to be extremely careful of fluid intake...with the first stages of kidney disease fluids are strongly pushed, or so I've been led to believe.

So, let's go over things before we start. Here is what this page is:

A place to say, "Hey, I found a new recipe today and it was really good!"

A place to say, "I know, it stinks, but potatoes are off limits unless you leach them first. Here's how...."

A place to ask, "I'm going shopping today. What should I be looking for for snacks?"

That's it. Help. Encouragement. Information. Recipes. Hints. And just maybe some new friends.

Here is what this page is NOT:

This thread is not..... repeat, absolutely NOT..... a substitute for for the advice of your doctors or dietitian. Not now, not ever. And that reminder will pop up a lot. Expect it and respect it.

This thread is not a place intended to diagnose, treat, or "cure" anything. It's Kidney Disease. We have it. We can't cure it. We deal. The end.

This thread will remain civil, lighthearted when that's appropriate, serious when it's called for, and we will treat each other with courtesy and respect. There are
consequences for rudeness, sniping, and posts that hurt others. Period. No exceptions. I started this thread, and I can shut it down just as fast. (well, maybe faster - I type slowly)

I don't take points off for grammar, spelling, punctuation. If something is important enough or funny enough or supportive enough for you to want to say it, then what you are saying is important enough for me to want to read it. If I don't understand something, I'll ask. Please do the same if you don't understand me!

Brief periods off-topic are certainly allowed. Sometimes we need to lighten up and step back for a few minutes. But we have to remember that we will have people counting on us for help and support, so let's not linger off topic for long! I tend to be the worst offender. <sigh> Rein me in. Nicely.

All other rules established by BackYard Chickens apply. Please don't give out addresses, phone numbers, email addresses or other personal information in your posts. If you need to exchange such information with another poster, do so by private message - or "conversations" as they are now called.

That's it. I welcome warmly anyone who would like to be part of this thread. And you don't have to have kidney disease to join in. Support is always welcome and you are valued, whether you're a kidney patient or not. This is a heck of a lifestyle change for most of us who have been diagnosed, and friendly faces help tremendously. We might all learn something. Someday those of you who aren't personally invested in this now might be later, and what we all learn here as we go along might come in mighty handy! This is all new to me, so I will make mistakes in terminology, I will make mistakes in foodology. I will make mistakes in wordology. I will try not to make mistakes in personalityology. (I'm having a blast watching my little spell-checker dude have apoplexy over my made-up words!) So let's get started!

I'm Blooie. I've been a member here for a while now, although I was gone for the last 6 months as I started getting sick. I'm kind of a floater - I flit from thread to thread. I have made a ton of good friends on this site, and I anticipate adding to that number. I am having a lot of trouble with this renal diet. I'm beginning to hate blueberries, because every time I'm hungry, I end up with blueberries. <sigh>

For example, last night we had roast beef and veggies. I always make my gravy as my roast cooks, with everything together in the dutch oven....it's the way hubby Ken loves it. So the roast was ready. His plate had a couple of slices of beef, a mound of potatoes smothered in rich, brown gravy, and carrots with butter and salt and pepper. Mine? Well, I had to rinse off the beef and the carrots because there was so much gravy (my delicious gravy, too!) from being cooked together and the potatoes were cooked in with the meat and carrots. I didn't have any potatoes on my plate. I had a small slice of rinsed off beef, a few rinsed off carrots, and.....and....well, my plate looked pretty empty so I opened the fridge to see what else was in there that I could add. Blueberries. More doggone blueberries. So there I was at the sink, rinsing my entire meal before I ate it! I felt like a darned raccoon!

Blueberries - I am beginning to hate blueberries. I don't know if I had to rinse all that stuff off or not, but I did because I remember my sister doing it. She said that that's one of the few meals where she didn't leach the potatoes first, so the potassium and phosphorus from the potatoes would be in the other stuff. I dunno if that's right or not, but she was the expert as far as I was concerned so I never questioned it. I never had reason to until now. And the blueberries? Well, I don't know how to shop anymore, so the fridge and pantry are getting kinda bare. I want desperately to call Linda and ask her a million questions. I can't. Unfortunately we lost my little sister to her kidney failure in 2017.

I have chickens again after 2 years without them. And of course, just when those little pullets start giving me eggs, as of a week ago last Monday, I find that egg yolks are off limits. There is NO justice in a world where I can't dunk a corner of buttered toast into a runny egg yolk from my own chickens. Oh, well....I think that's one I'll just have to cheat on from time to time!

Well, there you have it. I'm floundering. I need you. And if the doctor and dietitian ever get their heads together and give me a diet I can understand and follow, I'll still love to get some help with real, people-really-eat-this recipes, and different ways to make salt-less meals without my beloved potatoes palatable, AND without using blueberries! And maybe I'll be able to help you! Maybe someone will come in and share just the solution you need. This isn't about ME...this is about US. Let's make it happen!

Last edited:
@Kiki

Thats similar to what a Ken printed off yesterday, except the grocery list on his wasn’t as comprehensive and there was a separate list for the foods containing phosphorous, the biggest enemy of kidney disease. These two combined will make a ton of difference for me, and I thank you so much!!

DaVita was the “go-to” during my sister’s battle with total kidney failure. As I said before, on December 26th she had full kidney function and on Dec 27 it was totally gone. The kidney dialysis center she went to 3 times a week for her dialysis was a DaVita Center, so we all trust the DaVita name. I had it up on my phone when I’d grocery shop in South Dakota. But much of the stuff there is geared toward total kidney failure and dialysis, which differs a bit from kidney disease as far as diet. You’ve managed to maneuver through the murk and come up with the gems!

The beauty and kindness of what you’ve done here is so typical of the “you” we’ve come to know! It’s going to be incredibly helpful! Thank you!

1581867450447.png

I don't really know anything about kidney disease or what diet should be followed. I do know about cooking food though.

It's there a specific named diet? I know you mentioned a couple in your post @Blooie but I'm not sure what was yours and what was your sister's.

Myself I've had a bad digestive issues that have required a special diet. I've also had to do weight gaining diets after surgeries. My least favorite thing about diets is they get repetitive and boring. I'd be happy to experiment with some recipes with and/or for you.

I'm glad you're taking this head on. I've had some severe health risks myself. I can't directly relate to your condition, but I understand how difficult it can be. :hugs

your thread peaked my interest and while I haven’t read it’s entirety yet, I found some intriguing recipes from the kidney kitchen at kidneyfund.org they are separated into breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts and by low-med-high levels of things to be avoided (sodium/phosphorus/potassium). ones that really caught my eye were the persian eggs, and lemon mousse! AND not many blueberries! :lau

Cauliflower mash is a good sub for taters- just cook till soft & mash, season & top with some fresh herbs & a splash of EVOO if you must. Can you have asparagus? If so make soup - a little onion & garlic sweat a bit season how you like (I like S & P, dried mustard, red pepper flakes or cayenne) add asparagus cut in small/tiny pieces sweat a minute or two cover with H2O maybe an inch over veg & simmer covered ~20 mins. Cool slightly & put in blender to smooth or if you have an immersion blender use that. I finish with a squeeze of lemon & fresh chives. Sometimes I add some raw rice with the asparagus just a scoop will add body once blended. I've also added boiled egg both before blending or chopped as a topping when serving - think sort of like hollandaise.

I LOOKED IT UP! I can have asparagus - in small portions! I knew cauliflower was okay from seeing it on my sister’s diet. We may be getting some ideas here!! I don’t know if I’ll like asparagus soup, but I’ll darn sure like it better than resorting to nothing but Pine Floats with a Blueberry garnish!!!! No salt, though, but there are other seasonings around. :wee

Some differences, and that’s partly where my confusion comes in. On one list we found, spinach is low in phosphorous but too high in potassium. On one list shrimp and other shellfish had stars plastered throughout the list - again, not for the phosphorous but for the potassium and naturally occurring sodium. Miracle Whip was a “no”, light mayo a ”yes”.

I totally trust DaVita, but then some stuff there isn’t on the National Kidney Foundation’s approved list. But the waters are starting to clear! There are things on both lists I’ve never tasted.....ingredients that I’ve seen on Chopped but have never used. :oops: I was happy to find out what Bulgar wheat was right here! I’ll play with both lists and separate the things I know I’ll eat from those I won’t touch and then see what we come up with here.

I love you guys!

Hi Blooie! I'm Valerie. I don't think we've met. And I'm sorry to say I do not have kidney disease. (Well, not sorry for me...but sorry for not being as helpful as I could be.)

This post popped up on my screen and I started reading. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this! :hugs

It sounds like you miss potatoes, and cauliflower has been suggested as a substitute. I'd like to mention another substitute that we really love, and that is celery root. It's really good cooked and mashed just like a potato. Peeling it is a lot of work because you have to cut out all of the grooves. They are full of dirt. So I generally peel with a paring knife rather than a peeler. Celery root has a little sweetness to it, so you might like it even without salt or butter.

I'd like to follow along because I am always looking for healthy food suggestions, and I like to cook and try new things. I'd be happy to help come up with menu ideas. When you get a definitive food list, I hope you'll share it with us.

<Taking notes here.....love cabbage (cooked or raw) love cauliflower (cooked or raw), have always used lemon juice for an extra bit of flavor, don’t like raisins and such in cole slaw> We have always preferred “Sweet Slaw”, shredded cabbage, chopped apples, and cut up bananas with a dressing made of Miracle Whip, milk, and sugar.

Welcome to the group, @muddy75! How interesting that you mention that recipe link....we just found it about 2 hours ago, too! My sister a Lori remembered going through it with our sister Linda early into Linda’s kidney failure and found where she had jotted it down. None of this “jotting it down” for me! I put it on my home screen and plan to study it when I go in to lay down. Now all I have to is tap on it to bring it up! Bless you a million times!!

Did you see anything that looked particularly interesting I should look at first? Lori didn’t remember too much about it, just that she had it written down and then forgot about after a Linda died. But she did say that she didn’t think it had a lot of recipes calling for obscure ingredients most people don’t have!

I made homemade pizza tonight. Since I had to go super light on the sauce, I made it on a big cookie sheet and I made it half and half. I always cook up three pounds of ground beef and three pounds of Jimmy Dean pork sausage together at one time, then cool and pack it into half-pound packs to freeze. Been doing that forever. So if I need just enough for us, I pull one pack...need a pound, pull 2 packs, etc, then I use it in Egg Bake, on pizza, in Stuffed Green Peppers or whatever else I can think of. Ken got regular sauce, the meat mixture, green peppers, onions and fresh grated mozzarella on his half. I did very light sauce on mine (think Barbie doll pink pizza) peppers, onions, pineapple on mine, with far less cheese. What do you know? It worked out perfectly. It wouldnt have won Chopped, but I came away from the table as satisfied with my dinner as he was with his. The sausage was a big no-no, so I did kinda miss the meat, but I lived.

Been a little under the weather the last couple of days...just a sneaky little cold that can’t decide if it wants to become a full-blown one or not. Didn’t want you to think I’d abandoned the thread - there’s been way too much good information shared so far to do that!

We have to run up to Billings today. I don’t want to go, but we need a nice looking wood filing cabinet and we didn’t find one in Cody. Billings means eating out. I used to look forward to that - we don’t have a wealth of restaurants around here, but Billings has everything - Red Lobster, Famous Dave’s, Texas Roadhouse - so I guess I’ll either be wise and select something that’s on the good list or be wild and blow the diet for the day. Maybe I’ll flip a coin!!

Back
Top Bottom