The Diet Doth Confuseth Me! (Renal Diet Thread)

Pics
your thread peaked my interest and while I haven’t read it’s entirety yet, I found some intriguing recipes from the kidney kitchen at kidneyfund.org they are separated into breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desserts and by low-med-high levels of things to be avoided (sodium/phosphorus/potassium). ones that really caught my eye were the persian eggs, and lemon mousse! AND not many blueberries! :lau
Here's a link to the Kidney Kitchen. :)

<Taking notes here.....love cabbage (cooked or raw) love cauliflower (cooked or raw), have always used lemon juice for an extra bit of flavor, don’t like raisins and such in cole slaw> We have always preferred “Sweet Slaw”, shredded cabbage, chopped apples, and cut up bananas with a dressing made of Miracle Whip, milk, and sugar.

Welcome to the group, @muddy75! How interesting that you mention that recipe link....we just found it about 2 hours ago, too! My sister a Lori remembered going through it with our sister Linda early into Linda’s kidney failure and found where she had jotted it down. None of this “jotting it down” for me! I put it on my home screen and plan to study it when I go in to lay down. Now all I have to is tap on it to bring it up! Bless you a million times!!

Did you see anything that looked particularly interesting I should look at first? Lori didn’t remember too much about it, just that she had it written down and then forgot about after a Linda died. But she did say that she didn’t think it had a lot of recipes calling for obscure ingredients most people don’t have!

I made homemade pizza tonight. Since I had to go super light on the sauce, I made it on a big cookie sheet and I made it half and half. I always cook up three pounds of ground beef and three pounds of Jimmy Dean pork sausage together at one time, then cool and pack it into half-pound packs to freeze. Been doing that forever. So if I need just enough for us, I pull one pack...need a pound, pull 2 packs, etc, then I use it in Egg Bake, on pizza, in Stuffed Green Peppers or whatever else I can think of. Ken got regular sauce, the meat mixture, green peppers, onions and fresh grated mozzarella on his half. I did very light sauce on mine (think Barbie doll pink pizza) peppers, onions, pineapple on mine, with far less cheese. What do you know? It worked out perfectly. It wouldnt have won Chopped, but I came away from the table as satisfied with my dinner as he was with his. The sausage was a big no-no, so I did kinda miss the meat, but I lived.

<Taking notes here.....love cabbage (cooked or raw) love cauliflower (cooked or raw), have always used lemon juice for an extra bit of flavor, don’t like raisins and such in cole slaw> We have always preferred “Sweet Slaw”, shredded cabbage, chopped apples, and cut up bananas with a dressing made of Miracle Whip, milk, and sugar.

Welcome to the group, @muddy75! How interesting that you mention that recipe link....we just found it about 2 hours ago, too! My sister a Lori remembered going through it with our sister Linda early into Linda’s kidney failure and found where she had jotted it down. None of this “jotting it down” for me! I put it on my home screen and plan to study it when I go in to lay down. Now all I have to is tap on it to bring it up! Bless you a million times!!

Did you see anything that looked particularly interesting I should look at first? Lori didn’t remember too much about it, just that she had it written down and then forgot about after a Linda died. But she did say that she didn’t think it had a lot of recipes calling for obscure ingredients most people don’t have!

I made homemade pizza tonight. Since I had to go super light on the sauce, I made it on a big cookie sheet and I made it half and half. I always cook up three pounds of ground beef and three pounds of Jimmy Dean pork sausage together at one time, then cool and pack it into half-pound packs to freeze. Been doing that forever. So if I need just enough for us, I pull one pack...need a pound, pull 2 packs, etc, then I use it in Egg Bake, on pizza, in Stuffed Green Peppers or whatever else I can think of. Ken got regular sauce, the meat mixture, green peppers, onions and fresh grated mozzarella on his half. I did very light sauce on mine (think Barbie doll pink pizza) peppers, onions, pineapple on mine, with far less cheese. What do you know? It worked out perfectly. It wouldnt have won Chopped, but I came away from the table as satisfied with my dinner as he was with his. The sausage was a big no-no, so I did kinda miss the meat, but I lived.
i basically just started looking through the first page and if you see one you like, it shows other similar recipes. the energy bites looked like something fun to prepare and keep handy. I have never done this type of diet but i know with many diets, it’s best to eat smaller portions more frequently.....that may be something to discuss with the dietician at your appointment.

Black racers breed in my yard and I see juvies all the time. In the Summer I see Momma daily.

Oh wow! We occasionally have garter snakes but that’s about it. :lau haven’t seen one in years. There’s rattlers out in the western part of the state.

Wonder if Blooie has any snakes... maybe she could eat one. :D

Grilled garter snake? I'd have to be very hungry!
Mary

Me too!! But apparently snake is a delicacy in some areas. Rattler is popular. As is alligator (obviously not a snake but also weird). And they fry both too. People also eat crickets and other bugs dipped in chocolate. I say no way to any of it!! :sick :sick

We are so very fortunate here, that we can be fussy about what we eat!
The Kidney Diet site is very interesting, thanks for posting it.
Mary

Agreed!!! Definitely very fortunate. And I’m also lucky I don’t have any dietary restrictions or anything. Though some foods do make me sick but nothing like Blooie or others.

And I agree, very interesting. I appreciate the opportunity to learn about this, even if it isn’t under ideal circumstances. Wish nobody had to go through this.

Back
Top Bottom