The Diet Doth Confuseth Me! (Renal Diet Thread)

Pics
Some differences, and that’s partly where my confusion comes in. On one list we found, spinach is low in phosphorous but too high in potassium. On one list shrimp and other shellfish had stars plastered throughout the list - again, not for the phosphorous but for the potassium and naturally occurring sodium. Miracle Whip was a “no”, light mayo a ”yes”.

I totally trust DaVita, but then some stuff there isn’t on the National Kidney Foundation’s approved list. But the waters are starting to clear! There are things on both lists I’ve never tasted.....ingredients that I’ve seen on Chopped but have never used. :oops: I was happy to find out what Bulgar wheat was right here! I’ll play with both lists and separate the things I know I’ll eat from those I won’t touch and then see what we come up with here.

I love you guys!

Hi Blooie! I'm Valerie. I don't think we've met. And I'm sorry to say I do not have kidney disease. (Well, not sorry for me...but sorry for not being as helpful as I could be.)

This post popped up on my screen and I started reading. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this! :hugs

It sounds like you miss potatoes, and cauliflower has been suggested as a substitute. I'd like to mention another substitute that we really love, and that is celery root. It's really good cooked and mashed just like a potato. Peeling it is a lot of work because you have to cut out all of the grooves. They are full of dirt. So I generally peel with a paring knife rather than a peeler. Celery root has a little sweetness to it, so you might like it even without salt or butter.

I'd like to follow along because I am always looking for healthy food suggestions, and I like to cook and try new things. I'd be happy to help come up with menu ideas. When you get a definitive food list, I hope you'll share it with us.

Hi Valerie!!! So happy to have you join us in this blindfolded journey through the tunnel of confusion!! This is Pin the Tail on the Plate here! I do remember prepping and having celery root but to be honest I don’t recall when, and I don’t recall if I liked it or not. It had to be a long while back, though! And I didn’t gag when I just now read it, so it must not have been too bad! Thanks for that idea.

See, as we’re going along a clearer picture is starting to emerge, and I don’t see a stinkin’ blueberry one in it!! I won’t keel over from an occasional bad food choice at a meal, but I want that GFR up at least one point in March, doggone it! So if the doctor says “diet”, I say “more diet” and that’s how it’s gonna be.

Jump on in anytime!

Thanks for letting me tag along! I thought I'd see what cookbooks are out there for Renal Diets and they have some just for the newly diagnosed on Amazon. Here's a link. I was looking inside one and a couple things popped out at me. They use salt and I salsa, which would have tomatoes. I think that will be the hardest thing, giving up tomatoes.

You can grow tumeric!?
Yes, turmeric is easy to grow. Just take the root/fingers & put them in a pot horizontally about 2 inches down (I use my thumb as measure, so?) and move it into the sun & it will shoot up leaves & develop more fatter roots/tubers. It goes dormant in winter & will freeze, so if you're in that zone pull inside to over winter. Then come warm temps put it back outside. I'm in North Florida & mine is just waking up & pushing up leaves. To use just dig & break off a piece. I grate it on a microplane. Be aware it stains your hands & nails, but will wash off by next day. You can do the exact same with ginger. So, you purchase once & have it always. I was surprised just how thick they become since they sell such scrawny thin pieces.

Yes, turmeric is easy to grow. Just take the root/fingers & put them in a pot horizontally about 2 inches down (I use my thumb as measure, so?) and move it into the sun & it will shoot up leaves & develop more fatter roots/tubers. It goes dormant in winter & will freeze, so if you're in that zone pull inside to over winter. Then come warm temps put it back outside. I'm in North Florida & mine is just waking up & pushing up leaves. To use just dig & break off a piece. I grate it on a microplane. Be aware it stains your hands & nails, but will wash off by next day. You can do the exact same with ginger. So, you purchase once & have it always. I was surprised just how thick they become since they sell such scrawny thin pieces.

That’s amazing!! Thank you!! Gonna try this.

And what are you doing up Kelsey? :gig

:lau well I was watching tv until about 3 and then I came on here :lau :oops: I went to sleep shortly after that though. :D

Can’t sleep. Nighttime kinda presses in on me lately. :idunno Kelsey, it’s past your bedtime young lady! I'm old, and I get to do whatever I want! So ha ha ha!

:lau I know, I know. :oops: I’ve been staying up way too late lately and then of course sleeping in way too late. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom