The difference between barred rocks and dominiques?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Areolyn, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Areolyn

Areolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    I can't tell the difference of my little month olds. I am pretty sure they're barred rocks but then again I'm not good at telling which is which.
    [​IMG]Some of my barred/doms have bare backs, and I've sat for hours on end to see if the others are picking at the backs, but they're not. Like some have regular feathered backs but then there's other like in the pic that have barely any little feather stubs growing, as if its just now starting to grow. I've checked for mites/parasites and haven't found any either.

Also I have this cornish bantam, I'm not sure what color he is. I named him corny because he's not quite white but not really buff. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Those are barred rocks, because they have straight combs and not rose combs

3. Areolyn

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    Yes! I thought they were. Even though I sorta wish I would have gotten some dominiques. Any idea on how to sex them at this age?

4. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    They honestly look like males to me.

Female barred rocks would be darker (less white barreds) and males are more white, like yours, and yours are growing combs already.

5. Areolyn

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    Well I have more(probably roosters) but at least I know, too many times have I wanted roosters but had gotten hens. Hopefully my little silkies and at least one of my cornish are hens though.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Barred Rocks for the above reason. Also, I'm thinking they are cockerels as well for the same reason.

7. Areolyn

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    They're more than likely cockerels..[​IMG] I've put up different ads on buy trade groups in my area but everyone wants to trade me a rooster for a hen and rooster out of my little flock. But I already have a nice rooster and I want to sell a few of my little roos..*sigh* They're the friendliest little things ever but I don't need anymore roosters, lol.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Barred Rocks, and likely cockerels. I hope you can find a home for them!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

10. Areolyn

Apr 11, 2014
    De Leon, Texas
    Good news today I have finally found someone to take the little roosters! He just wants them for pets, but that's fine by me. Has a coop and everything for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by